Why Does My Physics Calculation Differ from the Markscheme?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the length of a box in a quantum physics scenario, using a given equation for energy levels that does not apply to this particular problem. The correct approach involves calculating the energy level spacing and using that to find the length of the box.
thomas49th
The question I am struggling is number 12 (c)(ii) which starts on page 14, but my part is on 16, the very last question of the paper

http://www.hinchingbrookeschool.net/science/documents/2864June2003.pdf

I want to calculate the length of a box where n = 3

[tex]E_{n} = n^{2}E_{1}[/tex]

Therefore for the n = 3 quantum state, E = 1.215x10^-21

But the markscheme goes into somthing completely different, so I must be taking the wrong route. If I work it through I get the wrong answer

Page 32 ON Mark Scheme:
http://www.hinchingbrookeschool.net/science/documents/2003JuneMS.pdf

Can someone explain my misunderstanding of the physics involved here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right that the general conceptual outline is to calculate E in the n=3 energy level, to use this to find the de Broglie wavelength, and then to use that, combined with the assumption that the box supports standing waves with 1.5 wavelengths as shown, to calculate the length of the box.

Your problem arises with the calculation of the energy in the n=3 level. The relation you have quoted, E_n = n^2 (E_1), is only true for the hydrogen atom. This is not a hydrogen atom. It should be obvious upon a closer inspection of the problem that this relation does not apply. (Hint: can you see that if the energy did vary as n^2, that the levels would NOT be evenly-spaced as stated?)

What this is is a simplistic "particle in a box" model that does not necessarily correspond to a physically realistic potential. Because the levels are evenly spaced, you calculate E_3 as follows:

E(n =3 ) = E(ground state) + two spacings

The ground state energy is 1.35e-21 J (given), and the spacing is supposedly then 2.70e-21 J (based on what's in the marking scheme). That's not quite what I get for the spacing, but it is close. Here is what I got as an answer for the energy level spacing:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=4e12+Hz+*+planck's+constant&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I hope that helps.

I understand your frustration with this question. It can be difficult to understand why our calculations may not match up with the markscheme. However, it is important to remember that physics is a complex and constantly evolving field, and there may be multiple ways to approach a problem or multiple correct answers. In this case, it is possible that your approach may be correct, but the markscheme may have taken a different route to arrive at the answer.

One thing to consider is that the markscheme may be using a different unit for energy (e.g. joules instead of electron volts), which could result in a different numerical value. It is also possible that the markscheme is using a different value for the constant E_1, which could also impact the final answer.

It is also worth noting that the markscheme may have been updated or revised since the paper was originally released in 2003. This could explain why the approach on page 32 of the markscheme may differ from your own.

In any case, the important thing to remember is that the process of solving physics problems is just as important as arriving at the correct answer. It is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts involved, rather than just memorizing formulas and plugging in numbers. I would suggest discussing your approach and calculations with your teacher or a fellow student to gain a better understanding of the problem and potential solutions. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged – understanding and mastering physics takes time and effort. Good luck!

1. What is energy in physics?

Energy is a fundamental concept in physics that refers to the ability to do work or cause change. In physics, energy is typically measured in joules (J) and can exist in various forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic.

2. How is energy related to A Level Physics?

A Level Physics covers various topics related to energy, such as energy conservation, energy transfer, and different forms of energy. Understanding the concept of energy is crucial in solving problems and answering questions in A Level Physics.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity, while potential energy is dependent on an object's position and the forces acting on it.

4. How do you calculate the total energy of a system?

The total energy of a system is the sum of all the different forms of energy present in the system. In A Level Physics, the total energy of a system can be calculated using the equation Etotal = Ekinetic + Epotential + Ethermal + Eelectromagnetic, where E represents the energy of each form.

5. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, even though it may change forms.