A line charge with variable charge density

In summary, Yukoel attempted to solve a homework problem involving the equation Q=∫λrdx, but was not able to get it correct. He states that he is not sure if what he did was correct, and he suggests using LaTeX to write the equations. The electric field at the origin is given as E=-((2kQ)/L^2) (1-ln2)i.
nilesthebrave

Homework Statement

A line charge in the x directio has a variable charge density given by the equation λ=4 λnot((1-x)/2L), where λnot is a constant. The rod has a length of L.

i)What is the net charge of the rod? Hint-the net charge is calculated by integrating the charge density with respect to x.
ii)Show that the electric field at the origin is given as E=-((2kQ)/L^2) (1-ln2)i

Homework Equations

Q=∫λrdx

Ex=(kλdx)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I couldn't find much about something like this, so I kind of winged it and have no idea if what I did was even partially right but here we go.

i)Q=∫λrdx
=4λnot∫(1-(x/2L))/L^2 dx
=4λ (x-4L)/4L^2

Q=(λx-4L)/L^2

Again I'm not sure I'm doing that right, but it's what made sense to me.

ii)dEx=((kλdx)/r^2) (x/r)

Ex=kλx∫dx/r^3

Ex=kλx[-1/2r^2]

And now I have no idea what I'm doing...

Attachments

• variable line charge.png
    variable line charge.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello nilesthebrave
i)Q=∫λrdx
=4λnot∫(1-(x/2L))/L^2 dx
=4λ (x-4L)/4L^2

Q=(λx-4L)/L^2
Think again .L is a constant all by itself and your integrated product seems to include the variable.By your picture the rod extends from x=L to x=2L right? Does that give you an idea of the limits of integration? I think Q=∫λ(r)dx is what you meant in your solution.

dEx=((kλdx)/r^2) (x/r)

Ex=kλx∫dx/r^3

Ex=kλx[-1/2r^2]
Think of an element small enough (dx) on the line rod at a distance x from the origin .It acts as a point charge (approximately).What is the charge on this length of element ?(assuming λ remains the same as for the distance x along this element)What is the elemental magnitude(dE) of the field due to such a charge at given distance? Then sum up those contributions by integration.You should be getting an expression for total electric field.The sign on the final expression might give you an idea on the nature of charge?

Does this help?
regards
Yukoel

Ok, let's try this out:

Q=∫(from x=L to x=2L) (4λnot(1-(x/2L))rdx
=4λnot∫(1-(x/2L)rdx
=4λnot[x-1/2x^2]r^2/2)from L to 2L
=4λnot[2L-L^2)-(L-L/2)]
=(3L/2-L^2)4λnot

Is that closer to being correct?

Also, I'm still not quite sure what to do with part ii. Is how I'm starting off at least right?

nilesthebrave said:
Ok, let's try this out:

=4λnot∫(1-(x/2L)rdx
=4λnot[2L-L^2)-(L-L/2)]
=(3L/2-L^2)4λnot

Also, I'm still not quite sure what to do with part ii. Is how I'm starting off at least right?

It would be much better if you use LaTeX to write the equations. Its difficult to follow what you have written. In the question, you have mentioned that [tex]λ=4λ_o\frac{1-x}{2L}[/tex] but in the attempt you use:
[tex]λ=4λ_o(1-\frac{x}{2L})[/tex]
Which one of them is the expression for λ? Also, what is the meaning of the bold "r" you have in your attempt.

As Yukoel said, think of a very very tiny part dx and find its charge. Integrate the expression from L to 2L to obtain the total charge.

EDIT: Seems like that you have to use the latter expression for λ. I calculated the electric field using the second expression and found the electric field as given in the question.

Last edited:
nilesthebrave said:
Ok, let's try this out:

=4λnot∫(1-(x/2L)rdx
=4λnot[2L-L^2)-(L-L/2)]
=(3L/2-L^2)4λnot

Hello nilesthebrave,
Why the bold r here?Are you trying to treat charge as a vector?Your integration involves x as a variable so why would you integrate r instead of it ?(ignoring the fact that vectors are not integrated directly in case r was a vector)You need to recheck your integral again.It should be simply ∫λ(x)dx =Q (limits as said earlier)
And as pranav-arora quoted the correct expression for charge is
[tex]λ=4λ_o(1-\frac{x}{2L})[/tex] (satisfies dimensions)
For the second part first of all calculate the charge on an elemental length dx using charge density.Treat it as a point charge and find the magnitude of the field created on the origin.In your attempt you have directly shifted λ out of your equation though it is a function of x.The basic formula you use i.e.
dEx=((kλdx)/x^2)
sounds fine to me.(By the looks of your method I think that you have assumed some oblique orientation of your rod in space though your uploaded picture depicts it lying on x axis. )You need to recheck your integral here too.
Hoping this helps.
regards
Yukoel

Alright I think I FINALLY got all it all. Thank you very much for all of your help. I have a habit of overthinking problems and spending far longer on them than I should. So thanks for giving my brain an enema.

Also, how do I use this LaTex, I think it'd be far more convenient for everyone if I started using it :-p

Is it just clicking the Sigma up top?
[itex]m_{n}\ =\ 1.67492716(13)\ \times\ 10^{-27}\ kg[/itex]

Awesome, thank you very much. It's bookmarked for when I inevitably become stuck on another Physics 2 problem :p

Related to A line charge with variable charge density

1. What is a line charge with variable charge density?

A line charge with variable charge density is a type of electric field configuration where the charge is distributed along a straight line instead of being concentrated at a single point. The charge density, or amount of charge per unit length, varies along the line.

2. How is the charge density of a line charge with variable charge density determined?

The charge density of a line charge with variable charge density is determined by dividing the total charge along the line by the length of the line. This can also be represented as the integral of the charge density function over the length of the line.

3. What is the equation for the electric field of a line charge with variable charge density?

The electric field of a line charge with variable charge density can be calculated using the equation E = kλ(x) / r, where k is the Coulomb constant, λ(x) is the charge density function, and r is the distance from the line charge.

4. How does the electric field of a line charge with variable charge density change with distance?

The electric field of a line charge with variable charge density follows an inverse relationship with distance. As the distance from the line charge increases, the electric field decreases. However, since the charge density varies along the line, the electric field may not decrease at a constant rate.

5. What are some real-life applications of a line charge with variable charge density?

A line charge with variable charge density can be used to model the electric fields produced by charged particles moving along a straight path, such as in particle accelerators. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and in the design of antennas for wireless communication.