A mistake in the derivation of escape velocity

In summary, when deriving escape velocity, it is important to pay close attention to the signs of the equations involved. In this specific example, a mistake was made in the final expression due to a discrepancy in the definition of work done. To avoid this error, it is helpful to write out the energy transfer equation and carefully consider the signs involved. Additionally, using potential energy instead of work done can be a more reliable approach.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
NA
Relevant Equations
NA
1599935540333.png

1599935567574.png

In the last step of the derivation of escape velocity, the two sides of the equation seem to have opposite signs.
$$-1/2mv_0^2=-mgR_e^2\,\lim_{r\to\infty}(1/r-1/R_e)$$
$$-1/2mv_0^2=mgR_e^2 \frac{1}{R_e}$$
Since the mass and the square of the velocity are positive, the left side of the equation is negative; whereas, the right side of the equation is positive in that g, the radius of the earth, and the mass are all positive.
Please note that g is positive because the author seems to have used a substitution ##g=GM_e/R_e^2##.

I would like to know what the cause of the error is and how to avoid it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I propose ? The integral of the gravitational force over dr calculated (maybe ?) is the work done by the gravitational field in moving the body from R to r. However what may be needed is the work done by the body (not the work done by the field) in overcoming the gravity. ?

Leo Liu said:
I would like to know what the cause of the error is and how to avoid it. Thanks!
Hi,

I do agree with the post above about the definitions used potentially leading to discrepancies. However, I believe they moved the -ve sign from the ## 1/2 m v_0 ^ 2 ## to the integral as the limits have swapped. If you evaluate that integral ## 1/r^2 ## the bracket would be ## (1/R_e - 1/r) ##. Therefore, I think the author has multiplied through by -1 to swap the order.

In terms of avoiding the error in future, I often get confused with these -ve signs and one way to deal with it is to write out the energy transfer and it will become clearer. For example in this case we have that:
$$ KE_i = Work Done + KE_f $$
where work done is against gravity by the rocket. As it says in the book, we are looking for the lowest amount of kinetic energy that will get us to escape (so we let ## KE_f = 0 ##).
Then we have:
$$ \frac{1}{2} m v_0 ^ 2 = \int_{R_e}^\infty \frac{GMm}{r^2} dr = \int_{R_e}^\infty \frac{gm R_e^2}{r^2} dr $$
The work done by the rocket integral yields a positive value as expected. Then the expression can be re-arranged as required to solve for ##v_0##.

Hope that is of some help

Likes Leo Liu
As @Master1022 pointed to, the mistake is in the last equality of the following

1599945254182.png

The integral ##\large \int_ {_{R_e}}^{^r} \frac{dr}{r^2}## evaluates to ##- \large \left( \frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{R_e} \right)## . So the final expression should be ##+mgR_e^2 \large \left( \frac{1}{r} - \frac{1}{R_e} \right)##.

Likes mfb
I think the best way to circumvent the error is to use potential energy instead of the work done.

Total Energy at r = R = 1/2 m v0 squared + potential energy = 1/2 m v0 squared + ( - GMm / r ).
Total Energy at r = inf = 1/2 m v squared + potential energy = 1/2 m v squared + ( - GMm / inf) ).

at infinity for escape velocity v (r=inf) =0 so total energy (at r = inf) = 0.

Energy is conserved so Total energy at r = R also = 0

Therefore 1/2 m v0 squared + ( - GMm / r ) = 0; so 1/2 m v0 squared = GMm / r .

Likes hutchphd
It is said that all theoretical physicists make sign errors. Good theoretical physicists make even numbers of sign errors.

• Haha
Likes Master1022, mpresic3, Hamiltonian and 2 others

1. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed that an object needs to achieve in order to escape the gravitational pull of a massive body, such as a planet or a star.

2. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √2GM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the massive body, and r is the distance from the center of the body to the object.

3. What is a mistake in the derivation of escape velocity?

A common mistake in the derivation of escape velocity is assuming that the object's initial velocity is zero. In reality, the object may already have some initial velocity, which would affect the final escape velocity.

4. How does the mistake in the derivation of escape velocity impact calculations?

The mistake in the derivation of escape velocity can lead to inaccurate calculations, as the final escape velocity would be underestimated if the object already has some initial velocity. This could result in errors in predicting the motion of objects in space.

5. How can the mistake in the derivation of escape velocity be avoided?

To avoid the mistake in the derivation of escape velocity, it is important to consider the object's initial velocity in the calculation. This can be done by using the formula v = √(2GM/r + v02), where v0 is the initial velocity of the object. Alternatively, the mistake can be avoided by using the concept of specific orbital energy in the calculation.