Derive Formula for Velocity of Object Approaching Earth

In summary, the equation given in the question is ##-\frac {GM} {R_E + h} = \frac {1} {2} v^2_f - \frac {GM} {R_E}##, but the equation that is algebraically equivalent is ##v = \sqrt {2gR_E} \sqrt {(1-\frac {R_E} {R_E+h})}##.
directory_NA

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is dropped from a height h, which is not necessarily small compared with the radius of the earth. Show that if air resistance is neglected, the speed of the particle when it reaches the surface of the Earth is given by ##\sqrt {2gh}## ##\sqrt {\frac {R_E} {R_E + h}}## .
(##R_E## = radius of Earth)

Homework Equations

##KE = \frac 1 2##mv2
##PE = -G \frac {Mm} {r}##
##PE= mgh## (unsure if this one is relevant to the question)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the basic rule of conservation of energy and wrote out my equation:
##\frac {1} {2} mv^2_i - \frac {GMm} {R_E + h} = \frac {1} {2} mv^2_f - \frac {GMm} {R_E}##
Since it was dropped, thus, I went ahead and presumed ##v_i = 0## and also canceled out all the "m"'s. Giving the equation:
##- \frac {GM} {R_E + h} = \frac {1} {2} v^2_f - \frac {GM} {R_E}##
If I solve for ##v_f##, I would get the following:
##\sqrt {2GM[R_E - (R_E + h)]}##
... which consequently looks nothing like the desired equation.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or something is going wrong within my derivation so I would like some advice regarding how to approach this problem and what would lead me on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct, but your algebra went astray!

PeroK said:
May I ask where the problem arose? I'm having trouble finding the root of the error.

PeroK said:
Ah, now looking back I realize that the
##R_E - (R_E + h)##
should be instead,
##\frac {1} {R_E} - \frac {1} {R_E + h }##

Yet that doesn't quite account for why ##R_E## would be in the numerator and there is a ##gh## instead of ##GM##

directory_NA said:
May I ask where the problem arose? I'm having trouble finding the root of the error.

You'll need to show your work. But, I could ask what happened to the denominators?

directory_NA said:
Ah, now looking back I realize that the
##R_E - (R_E + h)##
should be instead,
##\frac {1} {R_E} - \frac {1} {R_E + h }##

Yet that doesn't quite account for why ##R_E## would be in the numerator and there is a ##gh## instead of ##GM##

What is ##g##?

PeroK said:
What is ##g##?
##\frac {GM} {r^2}##, if the m was taken out from ##mg = \frac {GMm} {r^2}##

directory_NA said:
##\frac {GM} {r^2}##, if the m was taken out from ##mg = \frac {GMm} {r^2}##

Does that give you the book answer?

PeroK said:
Does that give you the book answer?
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean.
I tried substituting ##\frac {GM} {r^2}## into the desired equation in the question, but it didn't seem to connect with what I had.

directory_NA said:
Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean.
I tried substituting ##\frac {GM} {r^2}## into the desired equation in the question, but it didn't seem to connect with what I had.

What's ##r##?

PeroK said:
What's ##r##?
##R_E##

directory_NA said:
##R_E##

That must help!

PeroK said:
That must help!
Let me take a look at it for a second...

PeroK said:
That must help!
I managed to get
##v = \sqrt {2gR_E} \sqrt {(1-\frac {R_E} {R_E+h})}##
However, now there seems to be an extra ##R_E## and an extra ##(1-)##

directory_NA said:
I managed to get
##v = \sqrt {2gR_E} \sqrt {(1-\frac {R_E} {R_E+h})}##
However, now there seems to be an extra ##R_E## and an extra ##(1-)##

Well, your first approach is to keep going with the algebra. I think you have to be more positive about the idea that one expression might be the same as another, just simplified or reorganised.

Or, if you get stuck like this, then you can always plug in the numbers and see whether your answer is the same numerically. Take suitable values for ##g, R_E## and ##h## and see whether your answer is numerically the same as the book answer.

PeroK said:
Well, your first approach is to keep going with the algebra. I think you have to be more positive about the idea that one expression might be the same as another, just simplified or reorganised.

Or, if you get stuck like this, then you can always plug in the numbers and see whether your answer is the same numerically. Take suitable values for ##g, R_E## and ##h## and see whether your answer is numerically the same as the book answer.
So the implication is that algebraically my equation is the same as the one in the question, but it is just organized in a different manner?
And the only way to get to the question equation would be to fiddle with the algebra a bit more?
Is it possible to give any hints regarding how to approach the equation given in the question?

directory_NA said:
So the implication is that algebraically my equation is the same as the one in the question, but it is just organized in a different manner?
And the only way to get to the question equation would be to fiddle with the algebra a bit more?
Is it possible to give any hints regarding how to approach the equation given in the question?

Well, it seems to me that there is only really one thing you could do with:

##1 - \frac{R}{R+h}##

Hint: common denominator.

PeroK said:
Well, it seems to me that there is only really one thing you could do with:

##1 - \frac{R}{R+h}##

Hint: common denominator.
I see it now, that was sly.
Thanks so much!

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object approaching Earth?

The formula for calculating the velocity of an object approaching Earth is given by v = sqrt(GM ((2/r) - (1/a))), where v is the velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of Earth, r is the distance between the object and the center of Earth, and a is the semi-major axis of the object's orbit.

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived from the equation for gravitational potential energy, which is given by U = -GMm/r, where m is the mass of the object. By equating this potential energy to the kinetic energy of the object, we can solve for the velocity.

3. What are the units of the velocity in this formula?

The units of velocity in this formula are meters per second (m/s).

4. Does this formula only apply to objects approaching Earth?

No, this formula can be used to calculate the velocity of any object under the influence of Earth's gravity, as long as the object's path is not significantly affected by other forces such as air resistance.

5. How accurate is this formula?

This formula is accurate for objects with a small mass compared to Earth's mass and for distances significantly greater than Earth's radius. However, for objects with a large mass or at very close distances to Earth, more complex equations are needed to accurately calculate the velocity.