A name for a post-sleeping phenomenon

• Thread starter makethings
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phenomenon
In summary, I experienced a phenomenon where when I get extremely tired, I become more talkative and energetic than usual. It does not happen when I am getting up, only when I am going to bed. My daughter has also experienced this phenomenon, but to a lesser degree. It is not always noticeable, and now she can control it better.
makethings
I am not sure if there is any name for this effect but I will describe it and maybe you can tell me.

I am normally a quiet person. Not very much a chit chatter. But the couple of times I have taken a nap on the living room couch in the middle of the day, I get woken up about 15-20 mins into it by the sound of family talking near me. I feel fully energized and then I immediately chime in about whatever they are talking about and I am talking faster than I normally do and my thoughts filled with so much that there is not enough time to tell it all. Then after a bit, my brain dies down again and I return to my calm, quiet self. It did feel kind of euphoric. I am curious if this can mean anything.?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know of a name for this. But I've seen it before.

My daughter is usually quite introverted, quiet, and contemplative. She's been this way since she was a baby.

But when she gets really tired, she gets totally goofy. Giggly, silly, hyperactive...as a toddler, she was nearly impossible to dress into pajamas once she got this tired.

I'm sure this happens in a lot of people.

So I've seen it in her, but not when she gets up - just when she's going to bed, when she gets overly tired.

How old are you, makethings? And for that matter how old is your daughter Lisa? Has she changed at all since she was young in respect to this "phenomena"

binzing said:
How old are you, makethings? And for that matter how old is your daughter Lisa? Has she changed at all since she was young in respect to this "phenomena"

She's 16 now. This was much more of a problem when she was about 3 or 4. I still see it now from time to time, though, but not nearly as often. And now she can control herself...she never gets out of control like she used to.

When she was little, it was annoying...but kind of cute, too!

lol...16 eh? Ha ha, momentary visions of second generation pfers came across my mind...briefly...I am a 16 year old male after all...

I'm 21, if that makes a difference... anyone?

I'm still trying to figure out why lisab would be struggling to get pajamas on a 16 year old.

makethings said:
I am not sure if there is any name for this effect but I will describe it and maybe you can tell me.

I am normally a quiet person. Not very much a chit chatter. But the couple of times I have taken a nap on the living room couch in the middle of the day, I get woken up about 15-20 mins into it by the sound of family talking near me. I feel fully energized and then I immediately chime in about whatever they are talking about and I am talking faster than I normally do and my thoughts filled with so much that there is not enough time to tell it all. Then after a bit, my brain dies down again and I return to my calm, quiet self. It did feel kind of euphoric. I am curious if this can mean anything.?

Mean anything? Probably not ... your brain probably did not taken into account the fact that you went to sleep and when you actually woke up ... it is as if you never went to sleep.

Weren't these people who were striking up the conversation scared by " your " apparently sudden awakening and manic eagerness to join in? If not , then your conjuring up of this phenomenon is probably your imagination ... or slowness of your imagination to catch up to what really happened in reality.

Related to A name for a post-sleeping phenomenon

1. What is a post-sleeping phenomenon?

A post-sleeping phenomenon refers to any physical or mental experience that occurs after waking up from sleep. This can include feelings of grogginess, disorientation, vivid dreams, or sleep paralysis.

2. Is there a specific name for this phenomenon?

There is no specific scientific or medical term for post-sleeping phenomenon. However, it is commonly referred to as "sleep inertia" or "sleep drunkenness" in the scientific community.

3. What causes post-sleeping phenomenon?

The exact cause of post-sleeping phenomenon is not fully understood, but it is believed to be related to the body's natural sleep and wake cycle. Factors such as sleep deprivation, disrupted sleep patterns, or medications can also contribute to the experience.

4. How long does post-sleeping phenomenon last?

The duration of post-sleeping phenomenon can vary from person to person. It typically lasts for a few minutes to an hour, but in some cases, it can persist for several hours. Factors such as age, sleep quality, and sleep disorders can also affect the length of time.

5. Can post-sleeping phenomenon be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent post-sleeping phenomenon, there are some things that may help reduce its occurrence. Maintaining a regular sleep schedule, avoiding caffeine and alcohol before bedtime, and practicing good sleep hygiene can all help minimize the effects of post-sleeping phenomenon.