A nonconducting spherical shell problem

In summary, a nonconducting spherical shell with a positive charge density has a small ball of charge at its center. To achieve a uniform electric field within the thickness of the shell, the constant A must have a value of 1.79\times10-11. The value of r can vary between the inner and outer radii of the shell. The equation for electric field (E = kq/r^2) can be used, but the value of r is not specified and can be any value between a and b.
noppawit
A nonconducting spherical shell of inner radius a=2.00 cm and outer radius b = 2.40 cm has (withing its thickness) a positive charge density p = A/r, where A is a constant and r is the distance from the center of the shell. In addition, a small ball of charge q=45.0 fC is located at that center. What value should A have if the electric field in the shell (a[tex]\leq[/tex]r[tex]\leq[/tex]b) is to be uniform?

I know the answer that A value is 1.79[tex]\times[/tex]10-11. The problem is I don't know how to solve it. I don't even know which equation I should use. I tried to start with E = kq/r2, but what is the value of r. It is not specified where should I calculate.

Please help.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
r can have any value between a and b. It is a variable, with no specific value.

Do you know what charge the "q" refers to in your equation for E?

I would suggest approaching this problem by starting with the definition of electric field, which is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge at a given point. In this case, we want to find the value of A that will result in a uniform electric field throughout the shell.

We can use the equation for electric field due to a point charge, E = kq/r^2, as a starting point. However, as you mentioned, we need to determine the value of r at which we want to calculate the electric field.

Since we want a uniform electric field within the shell, we can choose any point within the shell to calculate the electric field. Let's choose a point at a distance r from the center of the shell, where a ≤ r ≤ b. This means that the electric field at this point will be due to the charge density within the shell and the small ball of charge at the center.

Using the definition of electric field, we can write:

E = (k * q_in)/r^2 + (k * q_ball)/(r - 0)^2

Where q_in is the charge within the shell and q_ball is the charge at the center. We can substitute the values given in the problem:

E = (k * A * r)/r^2 + (k * 45.0 * 10^-15)/(r - 0)^2

Since we want a uniform electric field, we can set the two terms in the equation equal to each other and solve for A:

(k * A * r)/r^2 = (k * 45.0 * 10^-15)/(r - 0)^2

A = (45.0 * 10^-15 * r^2)/(k * r)

Now, we can use the given values for a and b to find the range of r for which we want a uniform electric field. Plugging in these values, we get:

A = (45.0 * 10^-15 * (2.40 * 10^-2)^2)/(k * (2.40 * 10^-2)) - (45.0 * 10^-15 * (2.00 * 10^-2)^2)/(k * (2.00 * 10^-2))

A = 1.79 * 10^-11

Therefore, the value of A should be 1.79 * 10^-11 to

Related to A nonconducting spherical shell problem

1. What is a nonconducting spherical shell problem?

A nonconducting spherical shell problem refers to a theoretical physics problem involving a spherical shell made of a material that does not conduct electricity. This type of problem often deals with the distribution of electric charge and the effects of the electric field on the shell.

2. How is a nonconducting spherical shell problem different from a conducting one?

A conducting spherical shell problem involves a shell made of a material that can conduct electricity, while a nonconducting shell problem involves a material that does not conduct electricity. This difference can affect the distribution of electric charge and the behavior of the electric field.

3. What are some common applications of nonconducting spherical shell problems?

Nonconducting spherical shell problems can be applied to various real-world situations, such as the behavior of insulating materials in electric fields, the design of capacitors, and the study of planetary and celestial bodies.

4. How do you approach solving a nonconducting spherical shell problem?

The approach to solving a nonconducting spherical shell problem typically involves applying the principles of electrostatics, such as Gauss's law and Coulomb's law, and using mathematical equations to determine the electric field and potential at different points on the shell.

5. What are some common challenges when solving nonconducting spherical shell problems?

One common challenge when solving nonconducting spherical shell problems is determining the distribution of electric charge on the shell, as it can affect the behavior of the electric field. Another challenge may be the complexity of the mathematical equations involved, which may require advanced mathematical skills to solve.