Electric field inside non-conducting spherical shell

In summary, the problem involves two nonconducting spherical shells with given surface charge densities and radii. The centers of the shells are separated by 14 cm, and the task is to find the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at a specific point inside one of the shells. Initially, the idea is that the field at this point is zero due to the uniform charge distribution of the shell. However, since the shells are nonconducting, the charges on the surface cannot rearrange to nullify the field inside one of the shells due to the charges of the other shell. This explains why the initial guess was incorrect. In terms of the application of Gauss' law, it is likely being misapplied in this problem due to
Tiago3434

Homework Statement

Figure 23-30 shows two nonconducting spherical shells fixed in place. Shell 1 has uniform surface charge density +6.0 µC/m2 on its outer surface and radius 3.0 cm. Shell 2 has uniform surface charge density -3.8 µC/m2 on its outer surface and radius 2.0 cm. The shell centers are separated by L = 14 cm. What are the magnitude and direction of the net electric field at x = 2.0 cm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this question is kinda two-fold:
First: my initial idea was that the field at x=2.0cm was just zero, since it was inside a uniformly charged sphere. I even thought about a gaussian surface inside shell 1, and because it didn't have any charges inside it, the electric field was zero. Upon seeing that the answer said that was wrong, I realized that the spheres are non conducting, so the field inside sphere 1 due to the charges of such sphere was going to be zero, but the field inside sphere 1 due to the charges of the sphere 2 was not null. Given that they are non conducting, then the charges on the surface wouldn't be able to reorganize themselves to nullify the field inside sphere 1. Is this explanation correct? It's just an idea for why my initial guess wasn't correct, and I don't know if it's true or not.

Second: why Gauss' law doesn't give the proper answer? Am I misapplying it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Tiago3434,

Could you at least specify where the center of each spherical shell is located?

You mentioned that they are separated by L = 14 cm, but that's not enough information. For example, if the center of the first is at x = 100 cm, and the second at x = 114 cm, they are separated by 14 cm, but that would give a very different answer if their respective centers were at x = -7 and +7 cm.

Or another way of looking at it: with respect to the spherical shells, exactly where is x = 2.0 cm?

Maybe attaching the figure would help.

Oh sorry @collinsmark, didn't realize that in the original post.
Shell 1 is centered around the origin, and shell 2 is centered around x=10cm.

Tiago3434 said:
Oh sorry @collinsmark, didn't realize that in the original post.
Shell 1 is centered around the origin, and shell 2 is centered around x=10cm.
Good, that helps.

Tiago3434 said:
I realized that the spheres are non conducting, so the field inside sphere 1 due to the charges of such sphere was going to be zero, but the field inside sphere 1 due to the charges of the sphere 2 was not null. Given that they are non conducting, then the charges on the surface wouldn't be able to reorganize themselves to nullify the field inside sphere 1. Is this explanation correct?
Yes, very good.

why Gauss' law doesn't give the proper answer? Am I misapplying it?
You are probably misapplying it. Usually, in applying Gauss' law you reach a step where you "pull E out" of the surface integral. Why is this step invalid in this problem?

I think the answer to your answer is that the electric field is not constant, because it varies with distance, so I could not take it out of the integral. But then Gauss' Law tells me I only have to worry about the enclosed charges by the gaussian surface...

Tiago3434 said:
I think the answer to your answer is that the electric field is not constant, because it varies with distance, so I could not take it out of the integral.
Yes, that's right.
But then Gauss' Law tells me I only have to worry about the enclosed charges by the gaussian surface...
Gauss' law tells you that if you could do the integral representing the flux through the closed gaussian surface, then you would get a value equal to the ##Q_{inside}/\varepsilon_0##, which would be zero for the gaussian surface that you chose. But this is not very helpful in solving the original problem, as far as I can tell.

1. What is an electric field inside a non-conducting spherical shell?

It is the force experienced by a charged particle placed inside a spherical shell made of a non-conducting material. It is caused by the presence of other charges on the surface of the shell and is measured in units of volts per meter.

2. How is the electric field inside a non-conducting spherical shell calculated?

The electric field inside a non-conducting spherical shell can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. Is the electric field inside a non-conducting spherical shell uniform?

Yes, the electric field inside a non-conducting spherical shell is uniform, meaning it has the same magnitude and direction at every point inside the shell. This is because the charge on the surface of the shell is distributed evenly, resulting in an evenly distributed electric field inside.

4. How does the electric field inside a non-conducting spherical shell differ from that of a conducting shell?

In a conducting shell, the electric field inside is zero due to the redistribution of charges on the surface of the shell. However, in a non-conducting shell, the electric field inside exists and is dependent on the charge on the surface of the shell and the distance from the center.

5. Does the electric field inside a non-conducting spherical shell change if a charged particle is placed inside?

Yes, the presence of a charged particle inside a non-conducting spherical shell will alter the electric field inside. The magnitude and direction of the electric field will be affected by the charge of the particle and its distance from the center of the shell.