A paradox in probability theory and statistics

In summary: You can see that he is confused by the fact that the probabilities don’t add to 1 in the second and third solution. He has assumed that the union of two disjoint events is the sum of the probabilities. This is not true in general, especially when the events are not disjoint. Related: Homework StatementIn a vessel is a 5 cent coin and two 1-cent coins. If someone takes up two randomly chosen of these coins, and we let X be the total value of the coins taken, what is the probability function for X?Homework EquationsI know that X has a value {2,6}The Attempt at a SolutionI get two solutions that I do not understand which one is right:Solution
Pouyan

Homework Statement

In a vessel is a 5 cent coin and two 1-cent coins. If someone takes up two randomly chosen of these coins, and we let X be the total value of the coins taken, what is the probability function for X?

Homework Equations

I know that X has a value {2,6}

The Attempt at a Solution

I get two solutions that I do not understand which one is right:

Solution 1:
Let A1 be first coin is 1cent, A2 second coin is 1 cent
we know P(A1) = 2/3
If we want to get 2 cent : P(A1∩A2) = P(A2|A1) * P(A1)
P(A2|A1) = Conditional probability = First coin is 1 cent , second coin is 1 cent = 1/2
then P(A1∩A2) = 1/3 = P(X=2 cent)
And P(X=6 cent) = 1-P(X=2 cent) = 2/3

Solution 2 :

If I assume that the first coin A1 is 5 cent and the other is A2, 1 cent :
P(A2|A1)= 1
P(A1∩A2) = P(A2|A1) * P(A1) = 1* 1/3 = 1/3 = P(X=6) !

Solution 3:
A1 is 1 cent and A2 is 5 cent:
P(A2|A1)=1/2
P(X=6) = P(A2|A1) * P(A1) = 1/2 * 2/3 = 1/3 !

Now I get dizziness! :frown::cry:
What is the real value of P(X=6) and P(X=2) ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:
P(A2|A1)= 1
The conclusion that P(A1∩A2) = P(X=6) is not correct. A1∩A2 is just one of two ways of getting X = 6. The other is covered by your Solution 3.

Edit: In other words, X=6 can be achieved in two ways, first coin 5 and second 1 or first coin 1 and second 5. The probability for X=6 is therefore the sum of the probabilities for these.

Likes Pouyan
The first solution looks right although it is too complicated.

##P(1+1) =( \frac23)(\frac12)##

is all you need.

The other solutions I'm not sure I understand. The 5c coin could be the first or second coin chosen. Perhaps you have calculated tge probability that it is in only one place.

Likes Pouyan
Thank you ! Now I've got it ! :smile:
P(X=6) = P(A1∩A5) + P(A5∩A1) = 2/3 !

Pouyan said:
Thank you ! Now I've got it ! :smile:
P(X=6) = P(A1∩A5) + P(A5∩A1) = 2/3 !
Except what is event A5?

It's good sometimes to do a simple problem with full formality, but if you do you have to be careful not to get lost in your notation.

I would prefer the notation in post #3 because it doesn't introduce any unnecessary variables.

Otherwise, I would have used A1 for the first coin being 1 cent and B1 for the second coin etc. That would avoid the confusion about which coin is which.

Likes Pouyan
PS note that in any case ##A1\cap A5 = A5\cap A1##, so your notation has gone wrong on that respect as well.

You are taking these to be two different sequences of events, but the order of set intersection doesn't matter, so they must represent the same event.

Likes Pouyan
I agree with @PeroK, the notation is very confusing (not to say wrong). It is much better to state Ax as the event selecting an x coin in the first draw and Bx as the event of selecting an x coin in the second draw. Then your ##X = 6## would be (A1∩B5)∪(A5∩B1).

Likes PeroK and Pouyan
In this case, as there are only 3 coins, when you have chosen 2 there is just one left. The easiest way to solve this problem is to consider the probability of the left-over coin. There is a 2/3 probability that this will be 1 cent, so P(X=6) = 2/3; and a 1/3 probability that the coin left over will be 5 cents, so P(X=2) = 1/3.

Likes PeroK
Pouyan said:

Homework Statement

In a vessel is a 5 cent coin and two 1-cent coins. If someone takes up two randomly chosen of these coins, and we let X be the total value of the coins taken, what is the probability function for X?

Homework Equations

I know that X has a value {2,6}

The Attempt at a Solution

I get two solutions that I do not understand which one is right:

Solution 1:
Let A1 be first coin is 1cent, A2 second coin is 1 cent
we know P(A1) = 2/3
If we want to get 2 cent : P(A1∩A2) = P(A2|A1) * P(A1)
P(A2|A1) = Conditional probability = First coin is 1 cent , second coin is 1 cent = 1/2
then P(A1∩A2) = 1/3 = P(X=2 cent)
And P(X=6 cent) = 1-P(X=2 cent) = 2/3

Solution 2 :

P(A2|A1)= 1

Solution 3:
A1 is 1 cent and A2 is 5 cent:
P(A2|A1)=1/2
P(X=6) = P(A2|A1) * P(A1) = 1/2 * 2/3 = 1/3 !

Now I get dizziness! :frown::cry:
What is the real value of P(X=6) and P(X=2) ?!

The first way is very obviously correct: either ##X=2## or ##X=6##, and ##P(X=2) = (2/3)(1/2)= 1/3## is correct. Therefore, ##P(X=6) = 1 - 1/3 = 2/3## must be correct.

Others have already told you what you did wrong in your second way. However, I am concerned that you lacked confidence in your first way: if you carried out a series of true steps, and did each step correctly, your final answer must be correct.

Ray Vickson said:
However, I am concerned that you lacked confidence in your first way: if you carried out a series of true steps, and did each step correctly, your final answer must be correct.
Well, I believe this is why the OP used the word ”paradox” in the title. He likely believed that this was true for both the first solution as well as 2 and 3.

1. What is a paradox in probability theory and statistics?

A paradox in probability theory and statistics is a statement or situation that seems to contradict common sense or established principles of probability, but is actually true when examined closely. It is a puzzle or problem that challenges our understanding of probability and statistical reasoning.

2. How do paradoxes arise in probability theory and statistics?

Paradoxes can arise in probability theory and statistics due to the complexities of randomness and the limitations of our human intuition and reasoning. They can also arise from the misuse or misinterpretation of statistical methods.

3. Can paradoxes in probability theory and statistics be resolved?

Yes, paradoxes in probability theory and statistics can often be resolved by careful analysis and application of mathematical principles. Sometimes, new insights or developments in statistical theory may also help to resolve a paradox.

4. What is an example of a paradox in probability theory and statistics?

One example of a paradox in probability theory and statistics is the famous Monty Hall problem. In this scenario, a contestant is asked to choose one of three doors, behind one of which is a car and behind the other two are goats. After the contestant makes their initial choice, the host reveals one of the remaining doors to be a goat. The contestant is then given the option to switch their choice to the other remaining door. It seems counterintuitive, but switching actually increases the contestant's chances of winning the car.

5. How can understanding paradoxes in probability theory and statistics be useful?

Understanding paradoxes in probability theory and statistics can help to improve our critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It can also help us to avoid common mistakes and misconceptions when working with probabilities and statistical data. Additionally, resolving paradoxes can lead to new insights and advancements in the field of statistics.