A pendulum with viscous friction

In summary, the point mass reaches its maximum height after one swing when the pendulum has a mass of mg and a length of b.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Not a challenge merely unexpectedly solvable by hands problem
Consider the standard pendulum with a weightless rod of length b and a mass point m and mg is applied. In the hinge there is a torque of viscous friction which is proportional ##\omega^2##.
Now release the pendulum from the horizontal position. What biggest height does the point m attain after its first passing through the vertical position?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me know whether I got you. Is the equation of motion
[tex]L=ml^2\dot{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{L}=ml^2\ddot{\theta}=-mgl\sin\theta-k\dot{\theta}^2 sgn\ \dot{\theta}[/tex]?

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I get the following eq of motion:

1689772714928.png

$$ mb^2 \ddot \theta + \beta \dot \theta^2 - mg b \cos \theta = 0 $$

You are saying this is analytically solvable?

Note the important additional factor ##\text{sign} \dot{\theta}## written in #2. That's also what I'm puzzled about. I don't see, how to solve the question posed in #1, because I don't see how to calculate the energy loss due to friction without solving for the equation of motion first, and that's for sure not easily done in analytic form. Even the frictionless case leads to elliptic functions! Maybe @wrobel gives the solution, he has in mind soon?

Let me see, how far a I get. Using the EoM given in #2, with ##\theta## being the angle wrt. the direction of ##\vec{g}## as usual. Then the energy of the pendulum is
$$E=\frac{m b^2}{2} \dot{\theta}^2 - m g b \cos \theta,$$
and
$$\mathrm{d}_t E=\dot{\theta} (m \ddot{\theta} + m g b \sin \theta)=-k |\dot{\theta}|^3.$$
From this I don't see, how to calculate the energy loss without knowing the solution of the EoM :-(.

vanhees71 said:
Note the important additional factor ##\text{sign} \dot{\theta}## written in #2. That's also what I'm puzzled about. I don't see, how to solve the question posed in #1, because I don't see how to calculate the energy loss due to friction without solving for the equation of motion first, and that's for sure not easily done in analytic form. Even the frictionless case leads to elliptic functions! Maybe @wrobel gives the solution, he has in mind soon?
Would we have to have the sign factor if we are just trying to get to the first turning point?

Likes vanhees71
That's true, because then ##\dot{\theta}>0## during this time.

erobz said:
I get the following eq of motion:

View attachment 329418

$$ mb^2 \ddot \theta + \beta \dot \theta^2 - mg b \cos \theta = 0 $$

You are saying this is analytically solvable?
Yes,
$$\dot \theta=\omega(\theta),\quad mb^2\omega'\omega+\beta\omega^2-mgb\cos\theta=0$$
and $$\omega'\omega=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{d\theta}\omega^2$$
a linear equation with respect to ##\omega^2(\theta)##

wrobel said:
Yes,
$$\dot \theta=\omega(\theta),\quad mb^2\omega'\omega+\beta\omega^2-mgb\cos\theta=0$$
If that term that has ##\cos \theta ## was a constant ##k## its solvable with the substitution ##u = \beta \omega^2 + k ## , but it's not constant?

Last edited:
wrobel said:
Yes,
How do you get to this equation? I still don't see, how to answer your problem, about the height after "one swing" analytically.

I rewrote the equation from post 3. The standard trick:$$\dot\theta=\omega(\theta)\Longrightarrow \ddot\theta=\omega'\dot\theta=\omega'\omega$$
gives a first order linear ODE with respect to ##\omega^2(\theta)##

wrobel said:
I rewrote the equation from post 3. The standard trick:$$\dot\theta=\omega(\theta)\Longrightarrow \ddot\theta=\omega'\dot\theta=\omega'\omega$$

$$ mb^2 \frac{d \omega}{dt} + \beta \omega^2 - mgb \cos \theta = 0 $$

$$ mb^2 \frac{d \omega}{d \theta} \frac{d \theta}{ dt} + \beta \omega^2 - mgb \cos \theta = 0$$

$$ mb^2 \frac{d \omega}{d \theta} \omega + \beta \omega^2 - mgb \cos \theta = 0 $$

While it is true that

$$ u = \omega^2 $$

$$ \implies \frac{du}{d \theta} = 2 \omega \frac{d \omega}{d \theta} $$

would convert that to a linear equation, it is not true that ##u =\omega^2## is a viable substitution given the non-constant term ## mgb \cos \theta## that remains in the equation.

wrobel said:
Great, but shouldn't it be the EoM in #2?

Even in no friction case elliptic integral is tough for me. I am afraid there is no analytical solution to find at least for the beginners like me.

Likes erobz
anuttarasammyak said:
Even in no friction case elliptic integral is tough for me. I am afraid there is no analytical solution to find at least for the beginners like me.
It would be nice to see what level of a “hands” solution this is. I suspect it will be entirely lost on me, but I’m always curious about stuff I can’t comprehend.

wrobel said:
I do not know what EoM is and I do not understand what is written in 2.
Introduce a notation ##y(\theta)=\omega^2(\theta)## then the equation from 3
takes the form $$mb^2y'/2+\beta y=mgb\cos\theta.$$
To solve it use the method of variation of a constant
https://personal.math.vt.edu/renardym/class_home/firstorder/node1.html
EoM=equation of motion, and I think the correct equation of motion, with ##\theta## counted relative to the direction of ##\vec{g}## is
$$mb^2 \ddot{\theta} + k \dot{\theta}^2 \text{sign} \dot{\theta} + \frac{m g b} \sin \theta.$$

erobz said:
It would be nice to see what level of a “hands” solution this is. I suspect it will be entirely lost on me, but I’m always curious about stuff I can’t comprehend.
I do not have any other words to explain this standard technique. But I think if you ask it in the topic "Differential Equations" then maybe there is more gifted and more patient educator than me.

Likes vanhees71
@wrobel I am curious to know how you treat ##cos\theta## term as g(t) in the variation constants method and the final result of maximum angle to reach.

##\theta## is now the independent variable!

1. What is a pendulum with viscous friction?

A pendulum with viscous friction is a physical system consisting of a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. The motion of the pendulum is affected by a force called viscous friction, which is caused by the resistance of the surrounding medium (such as air or water) to the pendulum's movement.

2. How does viscous friction affect the motion of a pendulum?

Viscous friction causes the pendulum to gradually lose energy and slow down over time. This is because the resistance from the medium converts the kinetic energy of the pendulum into heat, causing it to lose amplitude and eventually come to a stop.

3. Can the effects of viscous friction be reduced or eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate the effects of viscous friction, they can be reduced by minimizing the surface area of the pendulum and using a more dense medium such as oil instead of air. Additionally, using a lubricant on the pivot point can help reduce friction.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect the amount of viscous friction?

The length of the pendulum does not directly affect the amount of viscous friction. However, longer pendulums will experience less air resistance due to their slower movements, resulting in less energy loss and a longer period of oscillation.

5. What are some real-world applications of a pendulum with viscous friction?

A pendulum with viscous friction can be used in various timekeeping devices, such as pendulum clocks and metronomes. It is also used in scientific experiments to study the effects of friction on motion and to demonstrate concepts of energy conservation. In addition, pendulums with viscous friction are used in seismometers to measure earthquake activity.