How Much 45% Phosphoric Acid is Needed to Raise PO4 by 1ppm in 1 Litre of Water?

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
skyshrimp
How much 45% phosphoric acid (in ml) would it take to raise PO4 by 1ppm in 1 litre of water?

I need to be sure as fish are involved. It will be administered over a 24 hour period.

Biology news on Phys.org
Without a lot of thinking (maybe):

1 ppm of phosphoric acid (measured as a fluid in mls) in a liter would be 1/1000 mls.
45% phosphoric acid would require 1/45 x 1/1000 mls.
Figure out the fraction of the PO4 in the phosphoric acid by its molecular weight.
Multiply by that number to get your result.

Thanks,

I calculate that at about 7.2ml of 45% phosphoric acid to raise PO4 by 1ppm in 300 litres.

Add slowly or high local concentrations may cause problems before it is mixed throughout the whole volume.

skyshrimp said:
I calculate that at about 7.2ml of 45% phosphoric acid to raise PO4 by 1ppm in 300 litres
Are you sure seems high to me?

gleem said:
Are you sure seems high to me?
That's was my first thought, but
skyshrimp said:
in 300 litres.
so 300x of a liter's worth.

my method is conc1 x vol1 = conc2 x vol2

Let’s say you had it at 100% then 1ml would be enough for 1M ml =1000liters
Therefore at 45% 1 ml would be enough for 450 liters
You have 300 liters, so 2/3 of that.
Solution:
Get a cup of water add 1ml and mix
Drop 1/3 of a cup of the mix
Add the remaining mix to your water. Problem solved!
You need .67 ml of it but that’s harder to calculate

Thanks,

I made a mistake with my rough calculation. I should have estimated 0.72ml, not 7.2ml. 0.67ml is more accurate. I was adding slowly and testing each day. I got to 1ppm quickly, so knew my math was off.

Last edited:
Also, there is 60mg of phosphoric acid in a can of Cola-Cola.

One drop of liquid is 0.05ml which is 50mg. My phosphoric acid is 45%, so I figure I can add 2 drops to a 330ml drink to safely give it some extra bite.

skyshrimp said:
I need to be sure as fish are involved.
skyshrimp said:
Also, there is 60mg of phosphoric acid in a can of Cola-Cola.

One drop of liquid is 0.05ml which is 50mg. My phosphoric acid is 45%, so I figure I can add 2 drops to a 330ml drink to safely give it some extra bite.
Wait, you've gone from a 300 liter fish tank to a can of soda? I'm getting dizzy... o0)

1. How much 45% phosphoric acid is required to raise PO4 levels by 1 ppm in 1 liter of water?

To calculate the amount of 45% phosphoric acid needed to raise the phosphate (PO4) concentration by 1 ppm in 1 liter of water, you first need to understand that phosphoric acid (H3PO4) contributes phosphorus, which converts to phosphate. The molecular weight of phosphorus (P) is 31 g/mol, and phosphate (PO4) is 95 g/mol. When phosphoric acid dissolves in water, it contributes phosphorus which then forms phosphate. 1 ppm of phosphate is equivalent to 1 mg/L. Therefore, to increase phosphate by 1 ppm in 1 liter of water, you need 1 mg of phosphate. Calculating back from phosphate to phosphoric acid (considering only 45% of the solution is actual phosphoric acid), approximately 0.0145 mL of 45% phosphoric acid is needed.

2. What is the role of phosphoric acid concentration in this calculation?

The concentration of phosphoric acid is crucial because it determines how much of the actual acid is present in a solution. In a 45% phosphoric acid solution, 45% of the weight of the solution is phosphoric acid, and the rest is mostly water. This concentration impacts the calculation of how much of the solution is needed to achieve a desired increase in phosphate level. Higher concentrations of phosphoric acid would require less solution to achieve the same increase in phosphate levels.

3. Why is phosphate important in water systems?

Phosphate is a key nutrient for aquatic plants and algae. In water systems, it helps in the growth and development of aquatic life by being a vital component of ATP, DNA, and membranes. However, excessive phosphate can lead to eutrophication, which causes dense growth of plant life and death of animal life from lack of oxygen. Managing phosphate levels is crucial for maintaining a balanced aquatic ecosystem.

4. Are there any safety concerns when adding phosphoric acid to water?

Yes, safety concerns exist when handling phosphoric acid, as it is a strong acid that can cause severe skin burns and eye damage. Appropriate safety measures, including wearing gloves, goggles, and protective clothing, should be observed. Additionally, proper dilution and handling procedures should be followed to avoid any accidents or spills, which could harm both the handler and the environment.

5. How precise does the measurement of phosphoric acid need to be?

Precision in measuring phosphoric acid is important to ensure that the desired increase in phosphate levels is achieved without exceeding it. Overdosing can lead to toxicity issues in aquatic life and contribute to environmental problems like eutrophication. Using accurate measuring instruments such as calibrated pipettes or burettes is recommended to achieve the required precision.