A physics UG looking into CS graduate programs

In summary, the individual is seeking general advice on switching from their undergraduate physics program to a graduate program in computer science. They have a strong background and passion for computational projects, but feel overwhelmed trying to juggle their core studies in physics as well. They are unsure about which GRE exam to prepare for, whether to consider alternative graduate programs, and whether to go for a master's or straight to a PhD program. They also have concerns about how employment works for graduate students and whether they should learn another programming language before starting the program. Ultimately, they are seeking guidance from academic advisors who can provide a specific path for achieving their goal.
loveandkindness
Purpose:
Seeking general advice! "What would you do in my shoes?"

My situation:
All of my undergraduate research (and passion) has been related to computational projects-- Monte Carlo simulations, data analysis, and more recently image analysis (all in Python). My summers have gone into this effort as well, and I feel that I have made progress in becoming a nearly competent scientific programmer.

Managing these computational skills, along with the specific knowledge for the lab I have been working with (bioinformatics) is about all I can handle. This is making my core studies in physics feel like a stressful distraction.

Goal:
Since the course catalogs for computer science seem to present the exact skills I need for research, I would like to try to switch from undergraduate physics to a graduate program for computer science. I know that I would like to pursue a thesis option.

What I don't know, and would like advice on:
A lot! Which GRE should I prepare for? Should I consider alternative graduate programs? Should I apply to more than one program? Should I go for a master's or straight to a PhD program? Will I still be able to work for my current PI (who is in the physics department) when I switch out of the physics department (I'm generally uninformed on how employment works for graduate students). Should I become familiar with another language before graduate school in computer science (I am only familiar with Python and related packages)?

---

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
I say stick with what you love, but you need academic advisors more familiar with your situation to help you chart a specific path to get there.

Good advice in one country or school may not apply somewhere else.

Related to A physics UG looking into CS graduate programs

1. What is the benefit of a physics undergraduate degree when applying to CS graduate programs?

Having a background in physics can be advantageous when pursuing a CS graduate program. Physics involves problem-solving skills, mathematical reasoning, and critical thinking, which are all highly valued in the field of computer science. Additionally, many CS programs require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics courses can fulfill these requirements.

2. Are there any specific CS graduate programs that cater to physics undergraduates?

While there are no specific CS graduate programs exclusively for physics undergraduates, there are programs that offer specializations or tracks in areas such as scientific computing or computational physics. These programs may be more suitable for physics undergraduates as they combine elements of both physics and computer science.

3. Can a physics undergraduate apply to a CS graduate program without any prior programming experience?

It is possible for a physics undergraduate to be accepted into a CS graduate program without prior programming experience. However, it may be more challenging as many CS programs look for applicants with a strong background in programming. It is recommended for physics undergraduates to take programming courses or gain experience through internships or projects to strengthen their application.

4. What skills should a physics undergraduate focus on developing before applying to CS graduate programs?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics, physics undergraduates should focus on developing their programming skills, particularly in languages such as Python, Java, or C++. They should also work on developing problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, as well as gaining experience in areas such as data analysis and machine learning.

5. Can a physics undergraduate apply to CS graduate programs with a non-CS related research project?

Yes, a physics undergraduate can apply to CS graduate programs with a non-CS related research project. Many CS programs are interdisciplinary and value diverse backgrounds and experiences. As long as the research project demonstrates skills relevant to computer science, such as problem-solving, data analysis, or programming, it can strengthen the application. It is important to clearly articulate how the research project relates to the CS field in the application materials.