A Pickup Truck and a bit of Friction

In summary: Just call the mass m, and write out the equations …F=ma…mg has an m in it, so you can just divide by m to find the acceleration. :wink:
Bachi234

Homework Statement

A pickup truck with a steel bed is carrying a steel file cabinet. If the truck's speed is 27 m/s, what is the shortest distance (m) in which it can stop without the file cabinet sliding? (Use µs = 0.8 for the coefficient of static friction of steel on steel.)

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, to start I made a force diagram and concluded that, as usual, the normal force equals the weight. That only leaves me to worry about the x-axis, the push speed and the friction. But, I'm not sure where to go and I don't remember how to convert velocity into force since velocity isnt' a force. And I can't find the acceleration. Thank you in advance for any help and/or hints!

~Bachi

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Bachi234 said:
A pickup truck with a steel bed is carrying a steel file cabinet. If the truck's speed is 27 m/s, what is the shortest distance (m) in which it can stop without the file cabinet sliding? (Use µs = 0.8 for the coefficient of static friction of steel on steel.)

F=ma

Well, to start I made a force diagram and concluded that, as usual, the normal force equals the weight. That only leaves me to worry about the x-axis, the push speed and the friction. But, I'm not sure where to go and I don't remember how to convert velocity into force since velocity isnt' a force. And I can't find the acceleration.

Hi Bachi! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: first, use your F = ma to find how much acceleration is needed to make the cabinet slide (you don't need velocity for this part).

Then use that acceleration to find the stopping distance. :smile:

Thank you for your welcome =)

How would you use F = ma to find the acceleration when you don't have the mass?

Bachi234 said:
How would you use F = ma to find the acceleration when you don't have the mass?

Hi Bachi234! :smile:

Just call the mass m, and write out the equations …

you'll find that everything has an m in it (like mg), and you can just divide by m. :wink:

Have a go! :smile:

Related to A Pickup Truck and a bit of Friction

1. What is the role of friction in a pickup truck?

Friction plays a crucial role in a pickup truck's ability to move and stop. It is the force that acts between two surfaces in contact and opposes the motion of the truck. Without friction, the tires would not be able to grip the road, and the truck would not be able to move or stop effectively.

2. How does friction affect a pickup truck's fuel efficiency?

Friction can have a significant impact on a pickup truck's fuel efficiency. When there is more friction between the tires and the road, the engine has to work harder to overcome this resistance, resulting in more fuel consumption. This is why it is essential to maintain proper tire pressure and use tires with good tread to reduce friction and improve fuel efficiency.

3. Can friction cause wear and tear on a pickup truck?

Yes, friction can cause wear and tear on a pickup truck. The constant rubbing and sliding of mechanical parts against each other can lead to increased friction, which can cause damage and wear down the components. Regular maintenance and proper lubrication can help reduce friction and prevent excessive wear and tear.

4. How does friction affect a pickup truck's braking distance?

Friction is a crucial factor in a pickup truck's braking distance. When the brakes are applied, the friction between the brake pads and the rotors creates a force that slows down and stops the truck. The amount of friction will depend on factors such as the condition of the brakes, the weight of the truck, and the road surface. Higher friction can result in shorter braking distances, while lower friction can lead to longer braking distances.

5. Can friction impact a pickup truck's towing capacity?

Yes, friction can have an impact on a pickup truck's towing capacity. When towing a heavy load, there is an increase in friction between the tires and the road, which can make it more challenging to move the truck. This can put additional strain on the engine and other mechanical components, potentially reducing the truck's towing capacity. It is crucial to consider friction when determining a pickup truck's maximum towing capacity.