How Does Increasing Voltage Reduce Power Loss in Electrical Transmission?

In summary: By knowing the current and voltage at the factory, you can then calculate the power being delivered to the factory in each scenario. The difference between the two will be the power lost in transmission. In summary, the problem involves a power station delivering 750 kW of power at 12,000 V to a factory through wires with total resistance of 3 Ohm. By using the formula P=V^2/R to calculate the power loss in the transmission wires, the solution manual suggests that all 750 kW is lost in transmission. However, this is not accurate because the formula should be written as P=(ΔV)^2/R and the voltage drop ΔV is unknown. By knowing the voltage and resistance in the transmission line
skepticwulf

Homework Statement

A power station delivers 750 kW of power at 12,000 V to a factory through wires with total resistance 3 Ohm. How much less power is wasted if the electricity is delivered at 50,000 V rather than 12,000 V?

Homework Equations

P=I x V, P= V^2/R, P=I^2 x R

The Attempt at a Solution

With given V1 and R values Power comes as:
P1= (12000)^2 / 3=48000kW, what is this 750kW then?
Is this station delivers power at 48000kW or 750kW??

Again, for V2 and R values:
P2=(50000)^2 / 3=833333kW
I would make the difference of figure P2 and P1 and obviously it's not right according to solution manual , but why? I'm totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw a diagram of the circuit? Most power is delivered to the factory, a small fraction is lost in the transmission wires..

I'm afraid there was no picture associated with the problem given. Just the text above.

You still need a picture. What you calculate is for when at the factory the wires coming from the power plant are simply short-circuited and the 12000 V is seeing only the 3 Ohm from the wires ...
The fact that the exercise comes without a picture doesn't have to stop you from drawing one yourself. You need to know what you are doing, a picture helps !

skepticwulf said:

Homework Statement

A power station delivers 750 kW of power at 12,000 V to a factory through wires with total resistance 3 Ohm. How much less power is wasted if the electricity is delivered at 50,000 V rather than 12,000 V?

Homework Equations

P=I x V, P= V^2/R, P=I^2 x R

The Attempt at a Solution

With given V1 and R values Power comes as:
P1= (12000)^2 / 3=48000kW, what is this 750kW then?
Is this station delivers power at 48000kW or 750kW??

Again, for V2 and R values:
P2=(50000)^2 / 3=833333kW
I would make the difference of figure P2 and P1 and obviously it's not right according to solution manual , but why? I'm totally lost.
Here, the difficulty arises with your choice of formula to calculate the power loss in the transmission wires.

By using P = V2 / R to calculate the power loss, you are, in effect, assuming that there is zero potential remaining at the end of the transmission line, which would mean that all 750 kW from the plant was lost in transmission. In reality, this formula should be written P = (ΔV)2 / R, but you unfortunately do not know the voltage drop ΔV between the power station and the factory.

Since you have the same power being transmitted, but there are two different voltages under consideration, then the current transmitted in each scenario will be different. More importantly, current into the line from the power station will be the same current coming out of the line at the factory. By knowing the resistance of the transmission line, which is the same in each scenario, you can calculate the current coming out of the power plant.

Thank you

My previous post was a little hazy. What I meant to say was, by knowing the voltage in the transmission line, you can calculate the current coming out of the power plant in each scenario.

1. What is a power station problem?

A power station problem refers to any issue or malfunction that occurs at a power station, which can lead to disruptions in the production and distribution of electricity.

2. What are some common causes of power station problems?

Some common causes of power station problems include equipment failures, extreme weather conditions, human error, and natural disasters.

3. How do power station problems impact the community?

Power station problems can have a significant impact on the community, as they can lead to power outages, which can disrupt daily activities, cause financial losses, and pose safety hazards.

4. How are power station problems diagnosed and fixed?

Power station problems are typically diagnosed through regular maintenance checks and monitoring systems. Once identified, they are fixed by trained technicians and engineers, who may need to replace or repair faulty equipment.

5. What steps can be taken to prevent power station problems?

To prevent power station problems, regular maintenance and inspections are crucial. Implementing robust safety protocols, investing in reliable equipment, and having contingency plans in place can also help minimize the occurrence of power station problems.