Optimizing Voltage for Power Transmission Efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses how the reduction in power (P-P') due to transmission losses can be calculated using the formula P-P'=P^2 x R / V^2. It also considers whether choosing a larger or smaller voltage (V) can help reduce power losses during transmission. The current (I) is determined by the power (P) and voltage (V) at the power plant, and the user will receive a different voltage (V') due to the resistance (R) in the transmission line. Factors such as transformers may affect the voltage on the transmission line, but for this problem, they are considered part of the power plant.
skepticwulf

Homework Statement

An electric power plant can produce electricity at a fixed power P, but the plant operator is free to choose the voltage V at which it is produced. This electricity is carried as an electric current I through a transmission line (resistance R) from the plant to the user, where it provides the user with electric power P' (a) Show that the reduction in power (P-P')due to transmission losses is given by (P-P'=P^2 x R / V^2 (b) In order to reduce power losses during transmission, should the operator choose V to be as large or as small as possible?

Homework Equations

P=I xV = V^2 / R = I^2 x R

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the power is lost due to long lines as R is increased by the length of the conductor. So due to formula(V^2 / R), we apply higher voltage to compensate this loss so that power is transmitted nevertheless as we wanted to be.So is there two Rs? R that leaves the plant, I mean right after the plant the length of the conductor is short so the R is small. And than comes R' which depends on the length of the conductor?
Do they apply small voltage to the power leaving the plant BUT then increase it before the transmission?
And I assume current is the same through the whole line.
How shall I calculate P-P' ?

Physics news on Phys.org
P and R are fixed. R goes all the way to the user, it's not in two parts. The user will never receive the full P since R>0.
If the plant produces power P at voltage V, what is the current? What current will the user get? What voltage will the user get?

The current will be I=P/V and that will be constant , all the way to the user.
As P' is different due to R, and P'= I x V', which means V' will be different than V, smaller value that is.
Am I correct?

skepticwulf said:
Do they apply small voltage to the power leaving the plant BUT then increase it before the transmission?
In general the voltage produced by the generators of a power plant is not necessarily the same as the voltage placed on the transmission lines. The voltage is adjusted using transformers. But for the purposes of this problem you should assume that any such transformers are considered to be part of the power plant -- all you can "see" coming from the plant is the transmission voltage and current.
And I assume current is the same through the whole line.
How shall I calculate P-P' ?
It might help if you draw a picture first, then label it with things you know and want to know. I'll give you a start:
Fig1.gif

Got it, P-P'=I^2 x R, that's the lost power in lines.
As I=P/V
P-P'=P^2 xR / V

Thank you!

1. What is a power plant problem?

A power plant problem can refer to any issue or malfunction that affects the functioning of a power plant, leading to a disruption in the production of electricity.

2. What are the common causes of power plant problems?

Power plant problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including equipment failures, natural disasters, human error, and maintenance issues. They can also be the result of outdated technology or inadequate infrastructure.

3. How do scientists and engineers solve power plant problems?

Scientists and engineers use a variety of methods to solve power plant problems, including troubleshooting techniques, data analysis, and conducting experiments. They may also collaborate with other experts in the field to come up with innovative solutions.

4. What are the potential consequences of a power plant problem?

The consequences of a power plant problem can vary depending on the severity of the issue and the location of the power plant. In some cases, it can lead to power outages and disruptions in electricity supply, which can affect homes, businesses, and industries. It can also have environmental impacts and pose safety hazards.

5. How can power plant problems be prevented?

Preventative measures can be taken to reduce the likelihood of power plant problems, such as regular maintenance and inspections, implementing backup systems, and investing in modern technology. It is also important for power plant operators to continuously monitor and assess potential risks to prevent problems from occurring.