A problem in sections method in analyzing structure

In summary, the problem at hand is to determine the force in members BF, BG, and AB and determine whether they are in tension or compression. The method of sections is used to analyze the structure, but there is an error in the equations and the cut may need to be extended or changed in order to solve the problem.
ehabmozart

Homework Statement

Determine the force in members BF, BG, and AB, and state if the members are in tension or
compression.

Homework Equations

Method of sections

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I cut the sections FB, BG and BA... I took the lower end. I now have three unknowns. I set all required force in all three members in TENSION so if I get any negative number, it is compression.

I set up three equations

Fx = 0 ; FB + 25 + GB cos 45 = 0
Fy= 0 ; AB + 50 - 45 + GB sin 45 = 0
Mg= 0 ; 4AB - 45*4 - FB*4 = 0

After arranging it and typing it to solve the three simultaneous equations, I get math error.. Where is my MISTAKE?? clarify please and I would be so thankful. The thumbnail is attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

• phpPEToki.png
    phpPEToki.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 881
Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart: When you cut a section, you must cut through the entire structure. Therefore, e.g., you need to perhaps extend your cut, to cut through member EF, also. Or change your cut, to cut through member FG.

Related to A problem in sections method in analyzing structure

What is the "A problem in sections method" in analyzing structure?

The "A problem in sections method" is a technique used in structural analysis to break down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable sections. This allows for a more thorough understanding of the overall structure and the ability to identify potential problem areas.

Why is the "A problem in sections method" important in structural analysis?

The "A problem in sections method" is important because it helps to simplify the analysis process and allows for a more detailed understanding of the structure. It also helps to identify potential issues or weaknesses in the structure, which can then be addressed and corrected.

How is the "A problem in sections method" applied in structural analysis?

The "A problem in sections method" is applied by breaking down the structure into smaller sections, which are then analyzed individually. These sections are then reassembled to understand the behavior of the entire structure as a whole. This method is commonly used in the analysis of complex or large structures.

What are the benefits of using the "A problem in sections method" in structural analysis?

Some of the benefits of using the "A problem in sections method" include a more thorough understanding of the structure, the ability to identify potential problem areas, and the ability to make more accurate predictions about the behavior of the structure. It also helps to simplify the analysis process and can save time and resources in the long run.

Are there any limitations to using the "A problem in sections method" in structural analysis?

While the "A problem in sections method" is a useful tool in structural analysis, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for all structures and may not provide an accurate representation of the structure as a whole. Additionally, this method may require a significant amount of time and resources to implement, depending on the complexity of the structure being analyzed.