Understanding Method of Joints for Solving Statics Problems

In summary, when solving problems using force analysis, it is important to assume that unknown member forces are in tension and use the correct magnitude and direction on subsequent diagrams. In the example problem given, the internal forces in B were found to be GB=27.5 (Tension) and AB=28 (Compression). However, there was a mistake in the calculation of BF, which should have been -25.04 instead of 25.04. This highlights the importance of following the book's suggestion to draw all unknowns as tensile forces.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

So this is more of a general question as I'm trying to follow the book's way of solving the problems and it's not working.
This is what the book says:

Always assume the unknown member forces acting on the joint’s
free-body diagram to be in tension ; i.e., the forces “pull” on the pin.
If this is done, then numerical solution of the equilibrium equations
will yield positive scalars for members in tension and negative scalars
for members in compression. Once an unknown member force is
found, use its correct magnitude and sense (T or C) on subsequent
joint free-body diagrams.

This is my example problem:
Hibbler.ch6.p12.jpg

Find the internal forces in B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Skipping a couple of steps ahead I know that the correct answers for GB=27.5 (Tension) and AB=28 (compression).

Now drawing the FBD according to the convention laid out by the book:
Untitled.jpg

I realize that I could infer that the force going in the Y direction HAS to be positive in this case, but I chose a simple example for simple calculations. Let's pretend like we didn't know which direction it should go and simply follow the book's suggestion that we draw all unknowns as tensile forces.

Now for my math:

∑Fy=0=-28Sin(63.4)-BF
BF=-25.04

This is NOT correct. The correct answer is 25.04 as we can tell by inspection.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you draw AB in tension but state it is compression?

I was under the impression that if it was in compression at AB the arrow would go the same way at point B. My bad. I figured out what I was doing wrong last night, thanks though :).

What is the Method of Joints in statics?

The Method of Joints is a technique used in statics to analyze the forces acting on a pin-jointed truss. It involves breaking down the truss into individual joints and analyzing the equilibrium of forces at each joint.

When is the Method of Joints used?

The Method of Joints is typically used when analyzing trusses that are in static equilibrium, meaning that all forces are balanced and the truss is not moving.

How do you solve a problem using the Method of Joints?

To solve a problem using the Method of Joints, you must first draw a free body diagram of the truss and label all known and unknown forces. Then, you can apply the equations of equilibrium (sum of forces in the x and y directions equals zero) at each joint to solve for the unknown forces.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints is a relatively simple and efficient method for analyzing trusses in static equilibrium. It also allows for easy visualization of the forces acting on each joint.

What are the limitations of the Method of Joints?

The Method of Joints can only be used for analyzing trusses in static equilibrium, and it assumes that all members of the truss are perfectly rigid and connected by frictionless pins. It also does not take into account the weight or mass of the truss itself.