A problem of mathematical induction

In summary, induction is a way of proving a statement for a natural number that is greater than 1 without proving the statement for every natural number.
sahilmm15
I have gone through the principle of mathematical induction. I cannot understand why do we need to prove every statement for n=1. I mean why is it necessary? Why can't we start directly from n=k then n=k+1. For example see the below image. Thanks!

Attachments

• 16085543526946773401524287736839.jpg
    16085543526946773401524287736839.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 148
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can prove it for n = k you don't need induction

BvU said:
If you can prove it for n = k you don't need induction
Correct me if I am wrong. By seeing the 'domino' analogy we use the base case like p(1) or p(0) to actually 'check' whether the domino in the 'first' place has actually fallen or not. If not then there is no point in proving the statement. If it is true then we can carry with our process of proving the whole statement true.

sahilmm15 said:
I cannot understand why do we need to prove every statement for n=1
Induction goes like

IF ## \Biggl [ \ p(k) \Rightarrow p(k+1)\ \Biggr ] ## AND ##\ \ p(1)\ \ ## THEN ##\ \forall n: \ \ p(n) ##

so you don't prove ##p(k)## but only prove that IF p(k) THEN p(k+1)

sahilmm15 said:
Correct me if I am wrong. By seeing the 'domino' analogy we use the base case like p(1) or p(0) to actually 'check' whether the domino in the 'first' place has actually fallen or not. If not then there is no point in proving the statement. If it is true then we can carry with our process of proving the whole statement true.

This is right. So what's your question?

To see an example at work where the base case is important, take the formula for the sum of squares that's in your example, and add 1 to it. The inductive step will still work just fine.

BvU said:
Induction goes like

IF ## \Biggl [ \ p(k) \Rightarrow p(k+1)\ \Biggr ] ## AND ##\ \ p(1)\ \ ## THEN ##\ \forall n: \ \ p(n) ##

so you don't prove ##p(k)## but only prove that IF p(k) THEN p(k+1)
Thanks I am clear now. I like how this community is so active, they just answer instantaneously. It makes me easier to understand. Thanks again !

As a trivial example, consider the statement ##n = n + 1##.
Is really easy to prove ##p(k) \Longrightarrow p(k+1)## but that doesn't prove the above statement (which obviously is false), so you can see why we need to prove ##p(1)##.

Likes Mark44, Klystron, fresh_42 and 1 other person
May i suggest another example like ##n^2>\sqrt{n}## For ##n=1## it is wrong, but trying to prove it without ##p(1)## leads to wrong results for every natural number. The more general statement of mathematical induction where we start from another natural number as a starting point not ##1## is needed i think.

It could be ##p(k)##, where ##k## is a natural number for that starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if you have some statement ##F(n)## that is not true for ##n=1##, but you can prove ##F(k)\Longrightarrow F(k+1)## and you can prove ##F(n_0)## for some ##n_0##. Defining a "more general induction" isn't essentially useing induction over the statement
$$G(n) = F(n + n_0 - 1)$$
?

Concretelly, proving $$n^2 > \sqrt{n}, \quad \forall n>1$$
is equivalent to prove the statement ##(n+1)^2 > \sqrt{n+1}## by induction, which can be proved for ##n=1##

1. What is the problem of mathematical induction?

The problem of mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if it is true for one natural number, it must also be true for the next natural number. This process continues until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

2. Why is mathematical induction important?

Mathematical induction is important because it is a powerful tool for proving mathematical statements. It allows us to prove that a statement is true for an infinite number of cases, without having to explicitly check each case individually. It is also commonly used in many branches of mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and combinatorics.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

The difference between strong and weak induction lies in the base case of the proof. In strong induction, the base case is usually the first natural number, while in weak induction, the base case can be any natural number. Strong induction is a more powerful form of induction, as it allows us to prove statements that cannot be proven using weak induction.

4. What are some common mistakes when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes when using mathematical induction include assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without properly proving it, using the wrong base case, and assuming that the statement is true for the next natural number without properly showing that it is true for the current natural number. It is important to carefully follow the steps of mathematical induction to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can mathematical induction be used to prove all mathematical statements?

No, mathematical induction cannot be used to prove all mathematical statements. It can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for a finite number of cases or statements that involve real numbers or other types of numbers.