Proof by Mathematical Induction

In summary, the mathematician is trying to use mathematical induction to prove that(Summation with n on top and i=1 on the bottom) (2i-1) = 1+3+5+...+(2n-1)= n^2. Step 1 is demonstrated to be true and Step 2 states the induction hypothesis, which is that $S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n(2i-1)=n^2$ for all $n$. The mathematician makes the inductive step and obtains that $P_{k+1}=\sum_{i=1}^k(2i-1)+2k+1=k^2+2k+1$. This
needmathhelp1
I am confused on a math problem. I am supposed to use mathematical induction to show that

(Summation with n on top and i=1 on the bottom) (2i-1) = 1+3+5+...+(2n-1)= n^2

Physics news on Phys.org
We are given to prove:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n(2i-1)=n^2\)

Step 1: demonstrate the base case is true.

\(\displaystyle S_1=\sum_{i=1}^1(2i-1)1=1^2\)

This is true.

Step 2: State the induction hypothesis $P_k$:

\(\displaystyle S_k=\sum_{i=1}^k(2i-1)=k^2\)

Step 3: Make the inductive step, and obtain $P_{k+1}$.

What do you get if you add $2k+1$ to both sides?

MarkFL said:
We are given to prove:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{i=1}^n(2i-1)=n^2\)

Step 1: demonstrate the base case is true.

\(\displaystyle S_1=\sum_{i=1}^1(2i-1)1=1^2\)

This is true.

Step 2: State the induction hypothesis $P_k$:

\(\displaystyle S_k=\sum_{i=1}^k(2i-1)=k^2\)

Step 3: Make the inductive step, and obtain $P_{k+1}$.

What do you get if you add $2k+1$ to both sides?

I understand the first two steps, but I am not sure what the inductive step is or how to obtain $P_{k+1}$.

The inductive step is essentially a legal algebraic operation you perform on $P_k$ that leads to $P_{k+1}$, usually after some simplification.

If you use the step I suggested, you then have:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^k(2i-1)+2k+1=k^2+2k+1\)

Can you incorporate the added terms into the sum on the left and factor the right?

Since several days has gone by with no feedback from the OP, I will finish. We have:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^k(2i-1)+2k+1=k^2+2k+1\)

On the left side, rewrite the added terms so that they are in the form of the summand:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^k(2i-1)+2(k+1)-1=k^2+2k+1\)

Incorporate these terms into the sum and factor the right side as a square:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{k+1}(2i-1)=(k+1)^2\)

We have now derived $P_{k+1}$ from $P_k$, thereby completing the proof by induction.

What is the concept of proof by mathematical induction?

Proof by mathematical induction is a method of proving a statement or theorem about all natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement is true for a starting value, usually 1, and then proving that if the statement is true for a particular value, it is also true for the next value. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

Why is proof by mathematical induction important?

Proof by mathematical induction is important because it allows us to prove statements that involve infinitely many cases. This is especially useful in mathematics, where many theorems and formulas involve infinite sets of numbers.

What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

Strong induction and weak induction are two variations of proof by mathematical induction. In strong induction, the statement is assumed to be true for all values up to a certain value, while in weak induction, the statement is only assumed to be true for the previous value. Strong induction is often used when the statement involves multiple previous values, while weak induction is used when the statement only involves the previous value.

What are the steps involved in a proof by mathematical induction?

The steps involved in a proof by mathematical induction are as follows:

1. Base case: Prove that the statement is true for the starting value, usually 1.
  2. Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for a particular value, usually denoted by k.
  3. Inductive step: Use the inductive hypothesis to prove that the statement is also true for the next value, k+1.
  4. Conclusion: By the principle of mathematical induction, the statement is true for all natural numbers.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a proof by mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a proof by mathematical induction include:

• Skipping the base case: It is important to prove that the statement is true for the starting value, otherwise the proof is incomplete.
  • Assuming the conclusion: The inductive step should be used to prove the statement for the next value, not to assume the conclusion is true.
  • Using the wrong starting value: Sometimes, the statement may only be true for values other than 1. In this case, the starting value should be adjusted accordingly.