A projectile problem (Olympiad)

In summary, Michael has tried to use integration to solve an equation of motion which includes air resistance, but has failed. He is stuck and needs help from the community.
Michael Si
A rock is launched vertically. During the last second of the flight, the rock covers one-half of the entire distance covered during the flight. What is the maximum possible duration of the flight? (Hint: answer is not 2 seconds.)

I've tried to use integration to solve an equation of motion which includes air resistance but failed. Anyone can help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Michael Si said:
A rock is launched vertically. During the last second of the flight, the rock covers one-half of the entire distance covered during the flight. What is the maximum possible duration of the flight? (Hint: answer is not 2 seconds.)

I've tried to use integration to solve an equation of motion which includes air resistance but failed. Anyone can help me?

Hi Michael! Welcome to PF! :smile:

i] ignore air resistance (this is a standard uniform-acceleration problem)

ii] you have noticed the question doesn't say the rock returns? :wink:

ii] show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :smile:

Thank you. :smile: Well, you're right. Since the conditions aren't clearly stated, factors like air-resistance can be ignored so as to simplify the problem. And indeed, the rock would not necessarily return. But I am not sure where the rock would be if i doesn't fall back. :rolleyes:

If it follows a simple projectile trajectory (in which it falls back to the ground) without resistance and assuming constant acceleration, the answer would be 2 seconds, which isn't the desired answer. Then I considered air drag and formed and solved the differential equation m*dv/dt=mg-Dv^2, which gave me very complicated results. I knew it wasn't the right way then.

If the rock doesn't fall back, where would it go?

Michael Si said:
If the rock doesn't fall back, where would it go?

Well … either up or down!

"flight" doesn't include landing … :smile:

Related to A projectile problem (Olympiad)

1. What is a projectile problem in the context of an Olympiad?

A projectile problem in an Olympiad refers to a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is projected into the air, such as a ball or a bullet. These problems typically require the use of equations of motion and knowledge of concepts like velocity, acceleration, and gravity.

2. Why are projectile problems commonly included in Olympiad exams?

Projectile problems are commonly included in Olympiad exams because they test a student's understanding of fundamental physics concepts and their ability to apply them to real-world scenarios. These problems also require critical thinking and problem-solving skills, making them a good measure of a student's overall scientific aptitude.

3. What are some key strategies for solving projectile problems in an Olympiad?

Some key strategies for solving projectile problems in an Olympiad include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using the appropriate equations of motion, and accurately representing the initial conditions of the projectile's motion. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and label the given and unknown values to visualize the problem better.

4. Can projectile problems in Olympiads be solved without using calculus?

Yes, projectile problems in Olympiads can be solved without using calculus. These problems typically require knowledge of basic algebra and trigonometry, but some may also involve concepts from calculus, such as derivatives and integrals. However, most Olympiad exams do not expect students to have a background in calculus.

5. How can I prepare for projectile problems in an Olympiad?

To prepare for projectile problems in an Olympiad, it is essential to have a strong understanding of basic physics concepts, such as motion, forces, and energy. It is also helpful to practice solving a variety of projectile problems, including those with different initial conditions and scenarios. Familiarizing yourself with the equations of motion and understanding how to apply them to real-world situations will also be beneficial for solving these types of problems.