A query about this electrical circuit symbol

In summary, the epsilon symbol (##\epsilon##) is used to represent "emf" or ElectroMotive Force, which is a technical term for voltage. While voltage sources like batteries are labeled with ##\epsilon##, the potential difference generated across other components is labeled as Voltage (V). It is often written as ##\mathscr E##, not epsilon (##\epsilon##), and there is a difference between the voltage (V) of a voltage source and its emf ##\mathscr E##, which is only relevant when the voltage source has internal resistance.
ellieee
Homework Statement
I'm not sure what this symbol means
Relevant Equations
V1 = R1 / R1+R2+R3 x "inverted 3"
CamScanner 05-11-2021 12.11_edit_7893197620670.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The epsilon symbol (##\epsilon##) stands for "emf" or ElectroMotive Force. I think it's a bit of a technicality to name voltage sources like batteries with ##\epsilon## while potential difference generated across other components are labeled as Voltage (V).

Likes Steve4Physics, ellieee and Delta2
phinfinity said:
The epsilon symbol (##\epsilon##) stands for "emf" or ElectroMotive Force. I think it's a bit of a technicality to name voltage sources like batteries with ##\epsilon## while potential difference generated across other components are labeled as Voltage (V).
I know I'm being pedantic but can I add:

1) It is ##\mathscr E## not an epsilon (##\epsilon##). The symbol is a 'script E'. My school physics teacher used to call it a 'curly E'. (To get the symbol with Latex, use \mathscr E.)

2) There is an important difference between the voltage (more correctly terminal pd), V, of a voltage-source and the source's emf ##\mathscr E##.

If the voltage-source has some internal resistance, then when a current flows V is smaller than ##\mathscr E##. But for an ideal voltage-source (zero internal resistance) V and ##\mathscr E## are the same value. Most simple circuit problems assume an ideal voltage-source; in that case you don't need to worry about the difference.

Likes Delta2 and ellieee

What is the purpose of this electrical circuit symbol?

The purpose of this electrical circuit symbol is to represent a specific component or function within an electrical circuit. It allows engineers and technicians to quickly identify and understand the components and connections in a circuit.

What does this symbol look like?

This symbol can vary depending on the type of circuit diagram being used, but it typically consists of simple shapes and lines that represent the physical appearance and function of the component. For example, a resistor is often represented by a zigzag line, while a battery is represented by two parallel lines with a plus and minus sign.

How do I read this symbol?

To read this symbol, you need to understand the standard conventions used in circuit diagrams. The symbol will typically have a label or identifier next to it that indicates the type of component it represents. Additionally, the direction of the symbol and its placement within the circuit can provide important information about its function and connection to other components.

What is the difference between this symbol and other similar symbols?

The differences between symbols in electrical circuit diagrams can be subtle but important. Some symbols may represent different versions of the same component, such as a variable resistor versus a fixed resistor. Other symbols may represent different components altogether, such as a diode versus a transistor. It is important to carefully examine the symbol and its context within the circuit to understand its specific meaning.

Where can I find more information about this symbol and its function?

There are many resources available online and in textbooks that provide detailed explanations and examples of electrical circuit symbols and their functions. Additionally, consulting with a knowledgeable engineer or technician can also provide valuable insights and clarification on specific symbols and their uses.