Brightness of two lamps in a circuit having a changing magnetic field

songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Faraday's law
Lenz's law
1695227102326.png

The answer key is (D) but I don't understand how to approach this question.

I am guessing the wire is acting as short circuit path but how to know which bulb will be short - circuited?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think D is the correct answer.

Instead of worrying about which bulb is "shorted", think about how you can use Faraday's law. For example, how would you use Faraday's law to determine the current in the light bulbs for the circuit on the left?

Likes songoku
TSny said:
I don't think D is the correct answer.

Instead of worrying about which bulb is "shorted", think about how you can use Faraday's law. For example, how would you use Faraday's law to determine the current in the light bulbs for the circuit on the left?
It depends on the change of the magnetic field.

If the B increases then the current is anticlockwise and if the B decreases then the current is clockwise.

Thanks

songoku said:
It depends on the change of the magnetic field.

If the B increases then the current is anticlockwise and if the B decreases then the current is clockwise.
Yes. But we are interested in the brightness of the lamps. So, we are interested in the magnitude of the current in the lamps. For the single-loop circuit on the left, can you find an expression for the magnitude of the induced current in the loop, ##I##, in terms of the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop , ## \large \frac {d \Phi}{dt}##, and the resistance ##R## of each lamp?

Likes songoku
TSny said:
Yes. But we are interested in the brightness of the lamps. So, we are interested in the magnitude of the current in the lamps. For the single-loop circuit on the left, can you find an expression for the magnitude of the induced current in the loop, ##I##, in terms of the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop , ## \large \frac {d \Phi}{dt}##, and the resistance ##R## of each lamp?
$$I=\frac{\frac{d\Phi}{dt}}{2R}$$

songoku said:
$$I=\frac{\frac{d\Phi}{dt}}{2R}$$
Yes.

Can you do anything similar in the multiloop circuit on the right?

Likes songoku
TSny said:
Yes.

Can you do anything similar in the multiloop circuit on the right?
Assuming the resistance of the wire is negligible, the current flowing in the top loop will be bigger than the lower loop since the area is bigger so the rate of change of magnetic flux is also higher.

The current flowing in the top loop will be ##\frac{\frac{d\Phi_1}{dt}}{R}## and the current flowing in the bottom loop will be ##\frac{\frac{d\Phi_2}{dt}}{R}##.

Is there any magnetic flux through the bottom loop?

Likes songoku
TSny said:
Is there any magnetic flux through the bottom loop?
Oh I see what it means of the picture. I just assumed that all part inside the loop had magnetic field.

So the induced current on the bottom is zero, that's why L2 goes out. For top loop, the decrease in area does not affect the rate of change of magnetic flux. The induced current will increase since the resistance of the circuit decreases

I suppose the appropriate answer will be (C).

songoku said:
Oh I see what it means of the picture. I just assumed that all part inside the loop had magnetic field.
Yes, I believe all of the flux that was in the first circuit is in the top loop of the second circuit and there is no flux though the bottom loop of the second circuit.

songoku said:
So the induced current on the bottom is zero, that's why L2 goes out.
Yes, there is no induced emf in the bottom loop. So, there can't be any IR voltage drop across the lower lamp.

songoku said:
For top loop, the decrease in area does not affect the rate of change of magnetic flux. The induced current will increase since the resistance of the circuit decreases

I suppose the appropriate answer will be (C).
Yes.

Likes songoku
Thank you very much TSny

Likes TSny

1. How does a changing magnetic field affect the brightness of two lamps in a circuit?

When a changing magnetic field is applied to a circuit, it induces an electric current in the circuit. This current then flows through the lamps, causing them to light up. The strength of the magnetic field will determine the intensity of the current and therefore the brightness of the lamps.

2. Can the brightness of the lamps be controlled by changing the magnetic field?

Yes, the brightness of the lamps can be controlled by changing the strength of the magnetic field. By increasing the strength of the magnetic field, the current and brightness of the lamps will also increase. Conversely, decreasing the strength of the magnetic field will result in a decrease in brightness.

3. What happens to the brightness of the lamps when the magnetic field is constant?

If the magnetic field is constant, there will be no change in the brightness of the lamps. This is because a constant magnetic field will not induce any current in the circuit, and therefore the lamps will not light up.

4. How does the distance between the lamps and the magnetic field affect their brightness?

The distance between the lamps and the magnetic field has a direct impact on the brightness of the lamps. The closer the lamps are to the magnetic field, the stronger the induced current will be, resulting in a brighter light. On the other hand, increasing the distance will weaken the current and decrease the brightness of the lamps.

5. What other factors can affect the brightness of the lamps in this circuit?

The type and quality of the lamps, the resistance of the circuit, and the strength of the power source can all affect the brightness of the lamps in this circuit. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the brightness of the lamps.