A Question about Chromatography

In summary, the exchange capacity of a column per gram of dry weight of resin is 2.74 meq/g, which comes from experimental values. However, the manufacturer's specifications for the number of exchange sites is 3.4 meq/g.
kalladin
I calculated the total exchange capacity of a column per gram of dry weight of resin to be 2.74 meq/g. This value comes from experimental values. However, the manufacturer's specifications for the number of exchange sites is 3.4 meq/g.

1. What's meq? :blushing: I know this means milliequivalents of the anion/cation, but what does it mean? I think I'm contradicting myself by asking the question, but please help out to clarify if you can.

2. Why would there be such a big difference between the experimentally determined number of exchange sites and the manufacturer's specifications? I suspect that when the resin is packed in a column some surface area is compromised?

Please help me out here :smile:

Thanks,

K.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not all that familiar with ion exchange chromatography, but I did some work with HPLC and GC and I think I can help. Classically, Meq provides the concentration of a substance, that is in ionic form, in solution, or more likely in this case the amount of ion bound to resin. Solutions of non-ionic sunstances should not be expressed in this manner. Thus if a solution contains 20 ppm of magnesium then the meq would be 1.67 (20/24 gives moles of solute, multiply by 2 for valence= 1.67). In many cases where the valence is one, the Meq equals a molarity based concentration. Does this answer your question?

To get to your difference between your's and the manufacturer's value, since this is an experimentally derived number, how many times did you do the experiment? Perhaps there is a considerable variation and with a larger number of replicates you would approach the reported number.

If this hasn't helped perhaps the Chemistry board would provide better results.

I agree, this would probably get a better answer on the Chemistry board. Hopefully one of the mentors will kindly oblige us and move the thread. :smile:

What is chromatography?

Chromatography is a laboratory technique used to separate and identify the components of a mixture based on their physical and chemical properties.

How does chromatography work?

Chromatography works by passing a mixture through a stationary phase, which can be a solid or liquid, and a mobile phase, which is usually a liquid or gas. The different components of the mixture will travel at different rates through the stationary phase, allowing for their separation.

What are the different types of chromatography?

The most common types of chromatography are paper chromatography, thin-layer chromatography, gas chromatography, and high-performance liquid chromatography. Each type uses different types of stationary and mobile phases and is suitable for different types of mixtures.

What is the purpose of chromatography?

The purpose of chromatography is to separate a mixture into its individual components for further analysis or use. It is commonly used in scientific research, quality control, and forensics.

What factors can affect the results of chromatography?

The results of chromatography can be affected by various factors such as the type of stationary and mobile phases used, the temperature and pressure of the system, and the chemical properties of the components in the mixture. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate and consistent results.