A question about Noether theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Noether's theorem and the fact that work done by a force perpendicular to velocity is always zero. The Newtonian EoM is used to show that if the force is orthogonal to velocity, the right-hand side of the equation is zero, resulting in constant kinetic energy. While there may be a connection, it is not explicitly stated or understood.
larsa
How can I derive that the work of a force perpendicular to velocity is always zero from the theorem of Noether?
I have heard that there is a relation between these two but in Google I found nothing.

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
For that you don't need Noether's theorem. The usual work theorem will do. The Newtonian EoM reads
$$m \ddot{\vec{x}}=\vec{F}.$$
Now multiply with ##\dot{\vec{x}}##, and you get
$$m \dot{\vec{x}} \cdot \ddot{\vec{x}}=\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2 = \vec{F} \cdot \dot{\vec{x}}.$$
Now you if ##\dot{\vec{x}} \perp \vec{F}## the right-hand side is 0, and thus the kinetic energy is constant, i.e., the force doesn't do work.

Likes larsa
vanhees71 said:
For that you don't need Noether's theorem.
Yes, but the question has been, how they are related? I came so far to see that Noether says: work as a function of force and position (##\;dW = F(\vec{x}) \cdot \nabla \vec{x}\;##) is invariant under orthogonal coordinate transformations. But how is this related to the fact, that an orthogonal force doesn't add work? (I just don't see the argument.)

Likes larsa
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but the question has been, how they are related? I came so far to see that Noether says: work as a function of force and position (##\;dW = F(\vec{x}) \cdot \nabla \vec{x}\;##) is invariant under orthogonal coordinate transformations. But how is this related to the fact, that an orthogonal force doesn't add work? (I just don't see the argument.)
There must be some relation but i can't imagine any. Thank you for your answer

Related to A question about Noether theorem

1. What is Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental result in physics that relates symmetries in a system to conserved quantities. It states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

2. Who was Emmy Noether?

Emmy Noether was a German mathematician who made significant contributions to abstract algebra and theoretical physics. She developed Noether's theorem and her work has had a profound impact on modern physics.

3. How is Noether's theorem applied in physics?

Noether's theorem is applied in various areas of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. It is used to derive conservation laws, such as conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

4. Can you give an example of Noether's theorem in action?

One example of Noether's theorem in action is in classical mechanics, where the conservation of energy is related to the time symmetry of physical systems. This means that the laws of physics remain unchanged over time, leading to the conservation of energy.

5. What is the significance of Noether's theorem in physics?

Noether's theorem is significant because it provides a fundamental connection between symmetries and conserved quantities in physical systems. It has greatly influenced our understanding of the laws of nature and has been instrumental in the development of new theories and advancements in physics.