A question from electrostatics

In summary, the displacement vector in a cube is given by D = (4x*xy + z)i + (4xy)j - (z)k c/m2 and is related to the charge density by ∇ . D = ρ. The volume integral of ∇ . D with x, y, and z varying between 0 and 1 resulted in a charge of 3 coloumb, but the correct answer is 4 coloumb. The exact location of the cube and the inconsistency in units used are unclear.
vrinda mukund
The displacement vector in a cube is defined by the relation D =(4x*xy + z)i+(4xy)j-(z)k c/m2 . Then charge enclosed within the cube of side 1m is …………..
I know that the displacement vector holds the relation
∇ . D = ρ
Where ρ is the charge density. I found ∇ . D and calculated its volume integral with x,y and z varying between 0 and 1. What I got was 3 coloumb but the correct answer is 4 colomb. Can someone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not exactly clear to me, how your [itex]\vec{D}[/itex] reads. Please use the LaTeX formulas. I read it as follows

[tex]\vec{D}=\begin{pmatrix}
4 x^2 y +z\\
4 x y \\
z
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Then

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{D}=4xy+4x+1.[/tex]

The next question is, where your cube is located. I used Mathematica to calculate for your cube, which you give as [itex][0,1] \times [0,1] \times [0,1][/itex]. Then I get 5 (whatever units you use, since these are also inconsistent).

sir, actually D is having -z as k component. ∇ . D = 8xy + 4x -1 then.(u hav written it as 4xy+4x+1). nothing is mentioned in the question about the location of the cube. i didn't understand your [0 X 1] technique sir. can you please explain?

Related to A question from electrostatics

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of stationary electric charges and the forces they exert on each other.

2. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electromagnetic interactions.

3. How do electric charges interact?

Electric charges interact through the Coulomb force, which is an attractive or repulsive force between two charged objects.

4. How is electrostatics related to electricity?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest, while electricity is the study of the flow of electric charges. Both are important in understanding the behavior of electricity and its applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatics?

Some real-world applications of electrostatics include lightning, electric motors, and generators, as well as everyday objects like magnets, balloons, and hair standing up due to static electricity.