A question on Bose enhancement & Pauli blocking

In summary, Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking are two fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics that explain the behavior of particles in a system. Bose enhancement refers to the increase in the probability of a bosonic particle occupying a state that is already occupied by another boson due to the symmetrical nature of their wave functions. On the other hand, Pauli blocking occurs when fermionic particles, which have anti-symmetrical wave functions, are prevented from occupying the same state as another fermion due to the Pauli exclusion principle. These concepts play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in various physical systems, including atoms, nuclei, and condensed matter.
"Don't panic!"
Say I have ##n_{a}## bosons in some state ##a##, then the transition rate from some state ##b## to state ##a##, ##W^{boson}_{b\rightarrow a}##, is enhanced by a factor of ##n_{a}+1## compared to the corresponding transition probability for distinguishable particles, ##W_{b\rightarrow a}##, i.e. $$W^{boson}_{b\rightarrow a}=(n_{a}+1)W_{b\rightarrow a}$$ and so the transition rate is from a state ##b## to a state ##a## is enhanced by the number of identical bosonic particles already in the state ##a##.

Conversely, for a fermion, the transition rate is suppressed by a factor of ##1-n_{a}##, i.e. $$W^{fermion}_{b\rightarrow a}=(1-n_{a})W_{b\rightarrow a}$$

My question is, how does one derive these to relations? How does one show that transition rate for bosons are enhanced due to Bose-Einstein statistics, whereas transition rates for fermions are suppressed due to Fermi-Dirac statistics (heuristically I get that in the case of fermions it is due to the Pauli exclusion principle, so called "Pauli blocking")?!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get it in deriving the Boltzmann equation using quantum transition amplitudes. The most simple thing is to use the Born approximation for ##2 \rightarrow 2## scattering matrix elements. Then you get a collision term with the integrand
$$\propto |\mathcal{M}_{12 \leftrightarrow 34}|^2 [f_3 f_4 (1 \pm f_1)(1 \pm f_2)-f_1 f_2 (1\pm f_3)(1 \pm f_4).$$
The upper signt is for bosons the lower for fermions.

Here are some hand-written notes on this from the last winter semester ;-) (in German but with a large "formula density"):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/neq-therm-WS15/quantum-boltzmann-eq-a-la-greiner-book.pdf

It's taken from one Greiner's quantum mechanics textbooks.

vanhees71 said:
You can get it in deriving the Boltzmann equation using quantum transition amplitudes. The most simple thing is to use the Born approximation for ##2 \rightarrow 2## scattering matrix elements. Then you get a collision term with the integrand
$$\propto |\mathcal{M}_{12 \leftrightarrow 34}|^2 [f_3 f_4 (1 \pm f_1)(1 \pm f_2)-f_1 f_2 (1\pm f_3)(1 \pm f_4).$$
The upper signt is for bosons the lower for fermions.

Here are some hand-written notes on this from the last winter semester ;-) (in German but with a large "formula density"):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/neq-therm-WS15/quantum-boltzmann-eq-a-la-greiner-book.pdf

It's taken from one Greiner's quantum mechanics textbooks.

Thanks for the notes, my German isn't great, but hopefully I'll understand the equations nonetheless ;-)

So is this how it was originally derived? In texts that I've read on statistical mechanics the result is simply stated with little motivation :-/

That's a good question. Of course, the Bose enhancement goes as far back as to Einstein 1917, where he derived the Planck spectrum by thinking about the transition rates and detailed balance. To get the correct Planck spectrum he had to assume that additionally to induced emission, i.e., emission of a photon from an excited state triggered by the already present radiation, there exists spontaneous emission, i.e., that an excited state can spontaneously deexcite by emitting a photon, which leads to the ##1+n## factors in the collision term. The quantum derivation for photons goes back to Dirac in 1927, when he introduced the annihilation and creation operators for photons:

http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royprsa/114/767/243.full.pdf

1. What is Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking?

Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking are two phenomena in quantum mechanics that describe the behavior of particles in a system. Bose enhancement refers to the increased probability of two identical bosons (particles with integer spin) to occupy the same quantum state, while Pauli blocking describes the decreased probability of two identical fermions (particles with half-integer spin) to occupy the same quantum state.

2. How do Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking affect the behavior of particles?

Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking have opposite effects on the behavior of particles. Bose enhancement leads to a higher number of bosons occupying the same quantum state, while Pauli blocking results in a lower number of fermions occupying the same quantum state.

3. What are the applications of Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking?

Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking have various applications in different fields of physics, such as in the study of superconductivity, superfluidity, and Bose-Einstein condensation. These phenomena also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in high-energy experiments.

4. How are Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking related to each other?

Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking are two sides of the same coin and are interconnected through the principle of quantum statistics. Both phenomena arise due to the indistinguishability of identical particles in quantum mechanics.

5. Can Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking coexist in the same system?

Yes, Bose enhancement and Pauli blocking can coexist in the same system. This is seen in systems that contain both bosons and fermions, such as in a mixture of helium-3 and helium-4 atoms. In such systems, both phenomena contribute to the overall behavior of particles.