A question on vertical circular motion

In summary, the maximum speed of rotation for an object of 6.0kg whirled round in a vertical circle of radius 2.0m with a speed of 8.0m/s is 10m/s. The string will break at the bottom of the circle, where the tension is greater due to the addition of the weight force, even though the speed at the top is higher. It is important to take into account the tension at the bottom as it will always be the maximum and determine the maximum speed of rotation.
Charismaztex

Homework Statement

An object of 6.0kg is whirled round in a vertical circle of radius 2.0m with a speed of 8.0m/s. If the string breaks when the tension in it exceeds 360N, calculate the maximum speed of rotation, and state where the object will be when the string breaks.

Homework Equations

The usual circular motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the max speed to be over 10m/s when the object is at the top (tension force + weight force =centripetal force, hence greater centripetal force and therefore greater maximum speed of rotation), but my sources suggest that the speed is greatest when the tension exceeds 360N at the bottom (which is tension force - weight force =centripetal force, leading to a smaller centripetal force and hence less speed.)

I am needing assistance to clarify the situation. how is it that the linear speed at the bottom is greater than the top (as my teacher's notes state). Would the object have a greater linear speed and a greater speed of rotation at the top because the centripetal force is greater there?

I may have totally confused the physics...

Thanks in advance,
Charismaztex

Physics news on Phys.org
The tension at the top is less than the tension at the bottom because...
TOP: [tex]T+mg=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
BOTTOM: [tex] T-mg=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
If you slowly increase the velocity then the string will break at the bottom. If you somehow spin it so that it doesn't exceed that speed at the bottom (or anywhere else) it could break on the top which would require the maximum velocity.
You're assuming constant velocity so every point on the circle would experience the each velocity so it would break at 10m/s at the bottom.

So you are saying that it wouldn't reach the speed calculated for the top (about 11m/s which I presumed was the answer instead of the correct one 10m/s) as it would have already broken at 10m/s at the bottom, which therefore would make 10m/s the max speed?

So always take the values calculated at the bottom as it would always break first there (greatest tension). Is this statement correct?

Please deny or confirm, thanks (I think this is the crux of the problem.)

Charismaztex said:
So always take the values calculated at the bottom as it would always break first there (greatest tension). Is this statement correct

yes if you rearrange the equations Jebus_Chris gave, you would see that

Ttop=mv2/r - mg

Tbottom=mv2/r +mg

so clearly Tbottom>Ttop, so the tension is always greatest at the bottom.

Thanks to rock.freak667 and Jebus_Chris for your assistance.

Related to A question on vertical circular motion

1. What is vertical circular motion?

Vertical circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path in a vertical plane. This means that the object's path is perpendicular to the ground and it moves up and down as it travels in a circle.

2. What causes an object to undergo vertical circular motion?

In order for an object to undergo vertical circular motion, it must have a centripetal force acting on it. This force is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circle.

3. How is speed related to vertical circular motion?

The speed of an object undergoing vertical circular motion is not constant throughout the entire path. As the object moves up, its speed decreases and as it moves down, its speed increases. This is due to the change in the direction of the velocity vector.

4. What is the role of gravity in vertical circular motion?

Gravity plays a significant role in vertical circular motion. It provides the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving in a circular path. Without gravity, the object would move in a straight line instead of a circle.

5. How does the radius of the circular path affect vertical circular motion?

The radius of the circular path has a direct impact on the speed and acceleration of an object undergoing vertical circular motion. A larger radius means a longer distance to travel, resulting in a lower speed and acceleration. A smaller radius means a shorter distance to travel, resulting in a higher speed and acceleration.