A question regarding the definition of acids and bases

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of acids and bases in inorganic chemistry. It is stated that according to Whitten et al.'s book, acids produce H+ ions and bases produce OH- ions in dilute aqueous solutions. It is also mentioned that this definition implies that a substance can be called an acid or base even before it produces H+ or OH- ions. However, it is noted that definitions of acids and bases can vary with context and different experts may have different opinions. The conversation ends with a note of curiosity and a thank you for the answer.
Dong Aleta
Hi!

I just read in an inorganic chemistry book (by Whitten, et al.) that acids are defined as substances that produce H+ ions in dilute aqueous solutions, and bases are those that produce OH-. To me, this definition implies that a substance that has yet to produce an H+ or an OH- can already be called an acid or base, respectively. Meaning, pure HCl gas that is yet to be bubbled in water can already be called an acid, and a pure NaOH pellet that is yet to be dissolved in water can already be called a base.

Is this correct? Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dong Aleta said:
Hi!

I just read in an inorganic chemistry book (by Whitten, et al.) that acids are defined as substances that produce H+ ions in dilute aqueous solutions, and bases are those that produce OH-. To me, this definition implies that a substance that has yet to produce an H+ or an OH- can already be called an acid or base, respectively. Meaning, pure HCl gas that is yet to be bubbled in water can already be called an acid, and a pure NaOH pellet that is yet to be dissolved in water can already be called a base.

Is this correct? Thanks!

Is is correct in the sense of the definition you gave, but definitions of acids and bases can vary with context, and another teacher or scientist might disagree.

Dr. Courtney said:
Is is correct in the sense of the definition you gave, but definitions of acids and bases can vary with context, and another teacher or scientist might disagree.
I see! I was just curious about this one. But thanks so much for the answer!

Look up the basic definitions of acids; Lewis, Arrhenius and Bronsted-Lowry.

1. What is the definition of an acid?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions (H+) in a chemical reaction and has a pH level lower than 7.

2. What is the definition of a base?

A base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions (H+) in a chemical reaction and has a pH level higher than 7.

3. How do acids and bases differ in terms of their chemical properties?

Acids and bases have opposite chemical properties. Acids are typically sour-tasting, corrosive, and can dissolve metals. Bases, on the other hand, are usually bitter-tasting, slippery, and can neutralize acids.

4. What is pH and how is it related to acids and bases?

pH is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. Acids have a higher concentration of hydrogen ions, giving them a lower pH (<7), while bases have a lower concentration of hydrogen ions, giving them a higher pH (>7).

5. Can substances be both acids and bases?

Yes, some substances, known as amphoteric substances, can act as both acids and bases depending on the conditions of the reaction.