A real matrix and its inverse share the same eigenvectors?

In summary, the proof is incorrect because it assumes that the eigenvector of ##A## is the same as the eigenvector of ##A^{-1}##, which is not always true. The correct statement would be that if ##A v= \lambda v##, then ##A^{-1} v= \frac{1}{\lambda} v##, assuming that ##A^{-1}## exists.
Happiness
Suppose ##v_i## is an eigenvector of ##A## with eigenvalue ##\lambda_i## and multiplicity ##1##.

##AA^{-1}v_i=A^{-1}Av_i=A^{-1}\lambda_iv_i=\lambda_iA^{-1}v_i##

Thus ##A^{-1}v_i## is also an eigenvector of ##A## with the same eigenvalue ##\lambda_i##.

Since the multiplicity of ##\lambda_i## is ##1##,

##A^{-1}v_i=k_iv_i##, where ##k_i## is a constant.

Thus ##v_i## is also an eigenvector of ##A^{-1}## with the same eigenvalue ##\lambda_i##.

What's wrong with this proof?

Counterexample:

##A=\begin{pmatrix}\frac{\sqrt3}{2}&\frac{1}{2}&0\\-\frac{1}{2}&\frac{\sqrt3}{2}&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}##

The eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue ##\frac{\sqrt3}{2}+\frac{1}{2}i## is ##\begin{pmatrix}-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i\\ \frac{\sqrt2}{2}\\0\end{pmatrix}##, but that for ##A^{-1}## is ##\begin{pmatrix}\frac{\sqrt2}{2}\\-\frac{\sqrt2}{2}i\\0\end{pmatrix}##.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
Thus ##v_i## is also an eigenvector of ##A^{-1}## with the same eigenvalue ##\lambda_1##.
If ##A v= \lambda v##, then ##A^{-1} v= \frac{1}{\lambda} v##.

(Of course assuming here that ##A^{-1}## exists.)

Likes Happiness
Samy_A said:
If ##A v= \lambda v##, then ##A^{-1} v= \frac{1}{\lambda} v##.

(Of course assuming here that ##A^{-1}## exists.)

Thanks! I've found the mistake.

1. What is a real matrix?

A real matrix is a matrix whose elements are all real numbers. It can be represented in the form of rows and columns, and is commonly used in linear algebra to represent linear transformations.

2. What is an inverse matrix?

An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix. In other words, it "undoes" the transformation represented by the original matrix.

3. How do you find the inverse of a real matrix?

To find the inverse of a real matrix, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, or the adjugate method. The method used will depend on the size and properties of the matrix.

4. What are eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that, when multiplied by a matrix, result in a scalar multiple of the original vector. In other words, they represent the directions in which the matrix only stretches or compresses, without rotating or shearing.

5. Why do a real matrix and its inverse share the same eigenvectors?

A real matrix and its inverse share the same eigenvectors because the inverse matrix represents the inverse transformation of the original matrix. This means that the eigenvectors of the original matrix will also be the eigenvectors of the inverse matrix, as they represent the same directions of stretching or compressing.