A redox titration with kmno4- and h2o2 help

In summary, the student attempted to calculate the average volume of permangate ion used in a titration, but did not understand what "0.025 M" meant. They also asked about why they were repeating the titration and average the volumes. They were able to finish most of their questions after finding information on how much permanganate reacts with hydrogen peroxide.
Scatteredheroes

Homework Statement

Calculate the average volume of permangate ion used.

I'm given the average volume of kmno4 used.

Homework Equations

N=m/mm

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to just average my kmno4 used, but I don't believe that's what my teacher is looking for. Help?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to give a complete problem statement: what you're titrating, concentration of titrant, etc..

Alright;

We're titrating KMnO4 against H2O2, with some added H2SO4 so it can be a visible change.

The KMnO4 is .025 M, and we're using various amounts.

The H2SO4 is 6M

I need to find the Molar Concentration of KMnO4 (I think that's the .025?) and the average volume of Permangate Ion used.

The average amount of KMnO4 titrated against the H2O2 was 14.32 mL

Is that enough?

Do you know what " 0.025 M " means?

If you know how much permanganate ion is in 1 litre, then how much is in 14.32 ml ?

I would guess that this is part of a series of sub-questions? If so perhaps you could show the whole question.

Calculate the average volume of Permangate Ion used
Calculate the moles of Permangate Ion used
Calculate the number of moles hydrogen Peroxide titrated
Calculate the number of grams of H2O2 titrated
Assuming the density of the hydrogen peroxide solution to be 1.00 g/ml, calculate the percent hydrogen peroxide by mass in the solution.

Also, thank you about the M thing. I have no clue how I missed that.

So you are ok with moles and molar solutions?

If not, this is the first result I found when I Googled molar.

You will also need to write the equation for the reaction.

This titration is so well known and used in education, that you'll probably find the whole thing worked through on some chemistry site, if you google it.

Last edited:
I don't want to google it and copy it so I can learn from this. Thanks for the site.

I just have one quick question. When they ask for the average volume of permangate ion used, is that the average volume of all the kmno4 used during titrating, or something else?

I assume, since they ask you to average your volume measurements, then they want you to use this average for the remainder of the calculation.

The alternative, to do all the calculations for each measurement, then average the results, would be much more work. I guess it would give the same result.

Why do you think you repeat the titration and average the volumes?

Also see Blobkins post about 3 or 4 down from yours in the forum. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-calculate-number-of-moles-of-h2o2-oxidized.832731/

Last edited:
Alright, thank you very much. I was able to finish all my questions for the actual calculations after that one hump I had issues with.

Also; I was able to finish most of my analysis questions concerning if there was a time where someone forgot to put the acid into the flask.

There's only one more thing I'm getting stuck on, and it's a question talking about how if there was a contaminating chemical which also reacted with hydrogen peroxide, how would it affect the percent of hydrogen peroxide.

My gut is telling me that it would decrease the percent, because it would use it up, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I'd think you're right.
You are finding how much permanganate reacts with the peroxide. If a contaminent is reacting with some of the peroxide, then there is more peroxide than you measure with your permanganate.

What is a redox titration and how does it work?

A redox titration is a type of chemical analysis that involves the transfer of electrons between two reactants. In this type of titration, one reactant acts as an oxidizing agent while the other acts as a reducing agent. The goal is to determine the concentration of one of the reactants by measuring the amount of the other reactant that is needed to react completely.

What is the purpose of using KMnO4 and H2O2 in a redox titration?

KMnO4 (potassium permanganate) and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) are commonly used as oxidizing agents in redox titrations. They both have known concentrations and can be used to determine the concentration of a reducing agent in the sample being analyzed.

How do you calculate the concentration of the reducing agent using KMnO4 and H2O2?

The calculation involves using the balanced chemical equation for the reaction between the reducing agent and the oxidizing agent. By measuring the amount of KMnO4 or H2O2 used in the titration, and knowing their respective concentrations, the amount of the reducing agent can be determined using stoichiometry.

What are some common sources of error in a redox titration?

Some common sources of error in a redox titration include inaccurate measurements of reagents, incomplete reaction between the two reactants, and human error in recording data. It is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and perform multiple trials to minimize these errors.

How can the results of a redox titration be used in real-world applications?

The results of a redox titration can be used to determine the concentration of a substance in a sample, which can be helpful in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, environmental testing, and food and beverage production. Redox titrations are also commonly used in research and development to study the properties of different substances and their reactions.