A sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material

• Thread starter priscilla98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the problem involves finding the percentage of inert material in a sample of potassium chlorate and another material that is intensely heated and results in a 20.0% weight loss. The student is confused about the weight loss and asks if an equation or percent composition can be used to solve the problem. Another student suggests writing a balanced reaction equation.
priscilla98

Homework Statement

A sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material is intensely heated. The weight loss observed is 20.0 %. What percentage of the sample is inert material?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know when you heat potassium chlorate and another material, the mass would be more than the mass of the potassium chlorate and another material before heating. That's why I'm confused to the weight loss in this problem. Would you use an equation to solve this problem? I'm a little stuck on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org

priscilla98 said:

Homework Statement

A sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material is intensely heated. The weight loss observed is 20.0 %. What percentage of the sample is inert material?

2. The attempt at a solution

I know when you heat potassium chlorate and another material, the mass would be more than the mass of the potassium chlorate and another material before heating. That's why I'm confused to the weight loss in this problem. Would you use an equation to solve this problem? I'm a little stuck on this question.

Would you use percent composition?

What happens to roasted potassium chlorate?

with manganese oxide, potassium chlorate turns to potassium chloride

Close, but not there yet. Try to write balanced reaction equation.

What is potassium chlorate and why is it used in a sample?

Potassium chlorate is a chemical compound composed of potassium, chlorine, and oxygen. It is commonly used in samples because it is a powerful oxidizing agent and can easily release oxygen when heated.

What is an inert material and why is it used in a sample with potassium chlorate?

An inert material is a substance that does not react chemically with other substances. It is used in a sample with potassium chlorate to provide a stable and safe environment for the chemical reaction to occur.

How is a sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material prepared?

A sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material can be prepared by mixing the two substances in a specific ratio, typically 1:1, using a mortar and pestle. The mixture should be well-mixed and free of any clumps before use.

What are the potential hazards of working with a sample containing potassium chlorate?

Potassium chlorate is a strong oxidizing agent and can ignite or explode when in contact with combustible materials. It should be handled with caution and protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, should be worn. It is also important to properly dispose of any unused samples to avoid potential hazards.

What precautions should be taken when heating a sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material?

When heating a sample consisting of potassium chlorate and an inert material, it is important to use a heat source that is not too strong or direct, as this can cause the sample to ignite or explode. A hot plate or water bath is recommended. Additionally, the sample should be heated slowly and observed carefully to prevent any unexpected reactions.