A short survey for mathematicians

In summary: Any responses at all would be greatly appreciated. 1.Please state your professional field of study and your university affiliation or employer.physics, university of michigan.2.Please state whether you are an academic professional or a workplace professional.workplace professional.3.The following is a list of commonly used discourse community communication tools. Please indicate the items that are used by professionals in your field.journalism, teaching, attending professional conferences.4.If you checked academic or professional journals, please list at least three of which you read or have written for.journal of physics, physics letters, physics research letters.5.If
shushboy
I'm currently studying mathematics at the undergraduate level and am required to conduct the following survey. I apologize if 'Career Guidance' is not the correct section for this, but it seemed the likeliest fit to me. Any responses at all would be greatly appreciated.

1.Please state your professional field of study and your university affiliation or employer.

2.Please state whether you are an academic professional or a workplace professional.

3.The following is a list of commonly used discourse community communication tools. Please indicate the items that are used by professionals in your field.

Academic or professional journals

Academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums

Newsletters published by your employer or university affiliate for professionals in your field

Professional websites for which you must be a member in order to receive information from

National or local organizations that you hold membership in

Other

4.If you checked academic or professional journals, please list at least three of which you read or have written for.

5.If you checked academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums, please list any that you are a contributing member of.

6.If you checked newsletters, professional websites, or national or local organizations, please list them.

7.If you checked other, please list the communication tool and provide a short description of it.

8.List any common goals held by professionals in your field.

9.List any writing genres that are specifically used by professionals writing in your field. (Examples include empirical report, case studies, literature reviews, etc.)

10.Currently, what are the top three “hot topics” of discussion in your field?

11.Please give an example of field-specific jargon that is crucial language for professionals in your field, but is not part of the general public knowledge.

12.What type of documentation style is used by professionals in your field for scholarly articles?

13.Finally, please provide either a link to or look up information for a recent article from your discourse community that is representative of its writing style.

Physics news on Phys.org
1.Please state your professional field of study and your university affiliation or employer.

mathematician, university of georgia.

2.Please state whether you are an academic professional or a workplace professional.

academic professional? actually that may have a different connotation here. i think i am just an academic.

3.The following is a list of commonly used discourse community communication tools. Please indicate the items that are used by professionals in your field.

Academic or professional journals . yes.

Academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums . yes.

Newsletters published by your employer or university affiliate for professionals in your field . no.

Professional websites for which you must be a member in order to receive information from . no. the usefulm ones are free. well no there are also some that require membership, so yes.

National or local organizations that you hold membership in . i do not belong to any.

Other

4.If you checked academic or professional journals, please list at least three of which you read or have written for. Inventiones, Acta, MATh. Annalen.

5.If you checked academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums, please list any that you are a contributing member of. physics forums.

6.If you checked newsletters, professional websites, or national or local organizations, please list them.

7.If you checked other, please list the communication tool and provide a short description of it.

8.List any common goals held by professionals in your field. discover and solve important problems and introduce trenchant concepts and explain them to colleagues. and bring about world peace.

9.List any writing genres that are specifically used by professionals writing in your field. (Examples include empirical report, case studies, literature reviews, etc.) research articles, books.

10.Currently, what are the top three “hot topics” of discussion in your field? i don't know or really care what's "hot". see entertainment tonight for this.

11.Please give an example of field-specific jargon that is crucial language for professionals in your field, but is not part of the general public knowledge. almost any word in the subject, manifold, variety, ring, group, domain, sheaf, cohomology, resolution, field, ...

12.What type of documentation style is used by professionals in your field for scholarly articles? annotated references?

13.Finally, please provide either a link to or look up information for a recent article from your discourse community that is representative of its writing style.
see arxivmath.??

Thanks, mathwonk. I said "Yes!" out loud when I read your response to #10.

Are you being serious in the last sentence of your response to #8? I can read it either way.

Bump?

OH PLEASE, PPLS, ANSWER ME PLEASE!

13 short-response questions for physicists

OK.

I didn't get very many replies to my survey directed toward mathematicians, so here's the same survey, only now for physicists. I'm on the fence as to whether I should study physics or mathematics and it's still early enough in my college career that I could go either way.

So, please answer these questions if you've got the time. Honestly, lads and ladies, isn't 10 minutes of your lives worth my eternal gratitude?

Academic or professional journals

Academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums

Newsletters published by your employer or university affiliate for professionals in your field

Professional websites for which you must be a member in order to receive information from

National or local organizations that you hold membership in

Other

4.If you checked academic or professional journals, please list at least three of which you read or have written for.

5.If you checked academic or professional conferences, newsgroups or online forums, please list any that you are a contributing member of.

8.List any common goals held by professionals in your field.

9.List any writing genres that are specifically used by professionals writing in your field. (Examples include empirical report, case studies, literature reviews, etc.)

10.Currently, what are the top three “hot topics” of discussion in your field?

11.Please give an example of field-specific jargon that is crucial language for professionals in your field, but is not part of the general public knowledge.

12.What type of documentation style is used by professionals in your field for scholarly articles?

I think you're not getting too many replies because this is kind of a lot to ask someone.

To get the answers you're looking for, you might want to try looking for online CVs of physicists in areas that you're interested in studying.

Or actually have posted anything previously instead of just showing up when you want something.

Usually it is best to prearrange with the mentor of the forum you'd like to post a survey in first, and then they can approve it, and let people know it is ok to respond, so you get more people.

If you have time, contact those mentors and ask if it's ok to post this in math and physics.

tribdog said:
Or actually have posted anything previously instead of just showing up when you want something.

I found this site while searching for places to get responses to this survey. You'll forgive me for accumulating posts gradually, I hope.

Aside from which, all I'm really asking for is time spent answering these questions, but you had to go and be difficult by giving me time in the form of notification that I suck for not having enough numbers. Nice.

Evo said:
Usually it is best to prearrange with the mentor of the forum you'd like to post a survey in first, and then they can approve it, and let people know it is ok to respond, so you get more people.

If you have time, contact those mentors and ask if it's ok to post this in math and physics.

Evo, I haven't spent any time on public forums of this sort before, so I apologize if this is astoundingly common knowledge, but: how to I find out who the mentors of the physics and math areas are?

Choppy said:
I think you're not getting too many replies because this is kind of a lot to ask someone.

To get the answers you're looking for, you might want to try looking for online CVs of physicists in areas that you're interested in studying.

That's an excellent idea, Choppy! Thank you!

lol, I'm so sorry if I hurt your feelings that wasn't my intention. However, I am neither a mathematician nor a physicist so I really didn't waste anytime I should have spent filling out your questionnaire. If you ever come up with one for unemployed, narcissistic pain in butts you better believe I'll be right there at the head of the line filling out your questions.

Shushboy, I'm afraid it's not all about you.

You are asking the owners of this forum to, essentially, host your questionnaire for free. You are asking the members to spend significant time writing well-considered responses, as well as to post personal information (employer) on a public website. Those are some pretty big favors.

When asking someone for a favor, it's usually not a good idea to assume they will agree first. It's also usually not a good idea to complain that they aren't jumping on it fast enough to suit you. An attitude of entitlement won't go very far when asking for favors.

Vanadium 50, I did not mean to come across as feeling entitled to a response, or to seem demanding.

I apologize to everyone who read it that way.

Aside from that: collecting answers to this survey is an assignment for Writing for the Natural Sciences. Any urgency/forcefulness you have detected stems from that fact, not from my thinking that you _must_ answer me.

shushboy said:
Evo, I haven't spent any time on public forums of this sort before, so I apologize if this is astoundingly common knowledge, but: how to I find out who the mentors of the physics and math areas are?
When you enter a forum, if you scroll down to the bottom and look at the lower lefthand corner, it will show you who the mentor(s) are. For Physics, send a PM (Private Message) to Doc Al, and nicely ask if you can post your survey and what it's for. For math, ask Hurkyl.

1. What is the purpose of this survey?

The purpose of this survey is to gather information and insights from mathematicians about a specific topic or research question.

2. Who can participate in this survey?

Any mathematician who is currently working or has worked in the field of mathematics can participate in this survey.

3. How long will this survey take to complete?

The length of this survey may vary depending on the complexity of the questions, but it should not take more than 10-15 minutes to complete.

4. Will my responses be kept confidential?

Yes, all responses will be kept confidential and only used for research purposes. Your personal information will not be shared with any third parties.

5. What will happen with the results of this survey?

The results of this survey will be analyzed and used to gain a better understanding of the topic or research question. The findings may be published in a research paper or presented at a conference.