A simple case of translation invariance of Riemann integrals

In summary: Yes, but for Riemann integrals, you enclose it by cubes, from the outside and / or from the inside and build the infimum / supremum of those cubes. So the kernel statement is, that cube and T(cube) have the same volume. The arbitrary case are simply more cubes of all sizes to gradually fill ##A##. So if you can prove if for any cube, it holds for ##A## as well.So the first line of a proof could be. W.l.o.g. let ##A## be a cube. Then we need a formalism to describe ##T(cube)##. E.g. if ##Vol(A)= \wedge_i
ttsp

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex] \int_{A} 1 = \int_{T(A)} 1 [/tex]

given A is an arbitrary region in R^n (not necessarily a rectangle) and T is a translation in R^n.

Homework Equations

Normally we find Riemann integrals by creating a rectangle R that includes A and set the function to be zero when x is in R\A and x is in A. I can only use the definition.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to create a rectangle that includes both A and T(A). However that was not useful. I'm really at a lost here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can either use the definition of Riemann integrals, which might be a bit messy and long, or you could use Stoke's theorem which reduces the task to one line. Your rectangles are actually ##n-##dimensional cubes, which makes the entire thing troublesome. So what else can you use? Unfortunately your section 2 of the template is a bit too thin.

If you can use nothing than the definition, which seems to be the case, then I'll have to ask you: What is ##\int_A \mathbf{1}## in exact terms?

fresh_42 said:
You can either use the definition of Riemann integrals, which might be a bit messy and long, or you could use Stoke's theorem which reduces the task to one line. Your rectangles are actually ##n-##dimensional cubes, which makes the entire thing troublesome. So what else can you use? Unfortunately your section 2 of the template is a bit too thin.

If you can use nothing than the definition, which seems to be the case, then I'll have to ask you: What is ##\int_A \mathbf{1}## in exact terms?

Indeed I can only use the definition. I would first create a rectangle [itex] R [/itex] such that A is included in R and [itex] \tilde{f} [/itex] such that [itex] \tilde{f}(x) = 1 [/itex] if x is in A and [itex] \tilde{f}(x) = 0 [/itex] if x is in R\A

And by definition, I have: [itex] \int_{A} 1 = \int_{R} \tilde{f} = sup \{L(\tilde{f},P) \} [/itex].

How should I proceed? Can I get a hint?

I don't understand what you wrote. Your rectangles are cubes, n-dimensional cubes. If you know already, that it is sufficient to integrate over the boundary instead - the rectangles ##R## - of the whole space ##A## inside, which is Stoke's theorem, then you're done, because translation doesn't change the boundary. Otherwise you have to deal with a volume ##A \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n## and you need to describe this volume somehow and prove that the translation doesn't change the volume. It is obviously true, so the main task is to find out how to write it. As we start with ##\int_A 1## we need to get hold on ##A## somehow.

E.g. a shear mapping does change volume as well as the boundaries, so your proof needs to make use of the difference between a translation and a shear mapping. Both are linear. Do you have volume elements ##\wedge_i dx^i\,##? How to describe ##A## and then ##T(A)## is the key.

fresh_42 said:
I don't understand what you wrote. Your rectangles are cubes, n-dimensional cubes. If you know already, that it is sufficient to integrate over the boundary instead - the rectangles ##R## - of the whole space ##A## inside, which is Stoke's theorem, then you're done, because translation doesn't change the boundary. Otherwise you have to deal with a volume ##A \subseteq \mathbb{R}^n## and you need to describe this volume somehow and prove that the translation doesn't change the volume. It is obviously true, so the main task is to find out how to write it. As we start with ##\int_A 1## we need to get hold on ##A## somehow.

E.g. a shear mapping does change volume as well as the boundaries, so your proof needs to make use of the difference between a translation and a shear mapping. Both are linear. Do you have volume elements ##\wedge_i dx^i\,##? How to describe ##A## and then ##T(A)## is the key.
I don't know the Stokes' theorem. Is it possible to prove it without the Stokes' theorem? Can I do it straight from the definition?

Does the volume element matter? It can be any [itex] dx^i [/itex]. [itex] A [/itex] can be any arbitrary bounded region, not necessarily a cube.

Yes, but for Riemann integrals, you enclose it by cubes, from the outside and / or from the inside and build the infimum / supremum of those cubes. So the kernel statement is, that cube and T(cube) have the same volume. The arbitrary case are simply more cubes of all sizes to gradually fill ##A##. So if you can prove if for any cube, it holds for ##A## as well.

So the first line of a proof could be. W.l.o.g. let ##A## be a cube. Then we need a formalism to describe ##T(cube)##. E.g. if ##Vol(A)= \wedge_i dx^i## then what is ##Vol(T(A))##?

Likes ttsp
fresh_42 said:
Yes, but for Riemann integrals, you enclose it by cubes, from the outside and / or from the inside and build the infimum / supremum of those cubes. So the kernel statement is, that cube and T(cube) have the same volume. The arbitrary case are simply more cubes of all sizes to gradually fill ##A##. So if you can prove if for any cube, it holds for ##A## as well.

So the first line of a proof could be. W.l.o.g. let ##A## be a cube. Then we need a formalism to describe ##T(cube)##. E.g. if ##Vol(A)= \wedge_i dx^i## then what is ##Vol(T(A))##?

That's a good hint. I know how to prove it when [itex]A[/itex] is a cube, and I can see intuitively why that would imply the same when [itex]A[/itex] is an arbitrary area. However, how do I show that mathematically? Suppose that I was able to show the statement for any cube [itex]R[/itex]. How do I generalize to any arbitrary region [itex]A[/itex]?

For Riemann integrals we approximate the volume ##A## by cubes but always finitely many, and if ##T(\sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(A_n))=\sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(T(A_n))##, then the question is, whether this holds for the limits as well:
$$
\int_A 1 = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(A_n) = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(T(A_n)) = \lim_{n \to \infty} T( \sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(A_n) ) = \int_{T(A)} 1
$$
##T## has all the nice properties needed: continuous, linear, smooth, and bounded. I'm not quite sure if we also have to swap the limit and ##T## but this shouldn't be a problem, too.

fresh_42 said:
For Riemann integrals we approximate the volume ##A## by cubes but always finitely many, and if ##T(\sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(A_n))=\sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(T(A_n))##, then the question is, whether this holds for the limits as well:
$$
\int_A 1 = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(A_n) = \lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(T(A_n)) = \lim_{n \to \infty} T( \sum_n \operatorname{Vol}(A_n) ) = \int_{T(A)} 1
$$
##T## has all the nice properties needed: continuous, linear, smooth, and bounded. I'm not quite sure if we also have to swap the limit and ##T## but this shouldn't be a problem, too.
What are the [itex]A_n[/itex]? Are they cubes used to approximate [itex]A[/itex]? How do you know that we can actually approximate [itex]A[/itex] arbitrarily close?

ttsp said:
What are the [itex]A_n[/itex]? Are they cubes used to approximate [itex]A[/itex]?
Yes.
How do you know that we can actually approximate [itex]A[/itex] arbitrarily close?
The same as on the real line with intervals or a bit more visual in the plane with rectangles. At least for finite volumes. Don't ask me for the formal procedure, though. Maybe so: Open cubes are an open covering and such we can select a finite subcover for compact sets. Now refine the covering by taking smaller cubes and so on. We get more and more, but always finitely many and the procedure should result in an approximation of ##\operatorname{Vol}(A)##.

1. What is a simple case of translation invariance of Riemann integrals?

Translation invariance of Riemann integrals refers to the property where the value of a definite integral is not affected by a shift in its limits of integration. In other words, if the limits of integration are translated by a constant amount, the value of the integral remains the same.

2. How is translation invariance of Riemann integrals proven?

To prove translation invariance of Riemann integrals, we can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. This theorem states that the integral of a continuous function can be evaluated by finding an antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the limits of integration. Since the limits of integration are shifted by a constant amount, the antiderivative will also be shifted by the same amount, resulting in the same value for the integral.

3. What is the significance of translation invariance of Riemann integrals?

Translation invariance of Riemann integrals is an important concept in mathematics and physics. It allows us to simplify calculations involving integrals by shifting the limits of integration without changing the value of the integral. This property is also useful in solving differential equations and in applications such as signal processing and image analysis.

4. Are there any other types of invariance in Riemann integrals?

Yes, there are other types of invariance in Riemann integrals, such as scaling invariance and rotation invariance. Scaling invariance refers to the property where the value of an integral remains the same when the limits of integration are scaled by a constant factor. Rotation invariance is the property where the value of an integral remains the same when the coordinate system is rotated.

5. Can translation invariance of Riemann integrals be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, translation invariance of Riemann integrals can be extended to higher dimensions. In higher dimensions, the limits of integration are shifted along multiple axes, but the same principle applies - the value of the integral remains the same regardless of the shift in the limits of integration. This property is known as multi-dimensional translation invariance.