A simple harmonic oscillator has total energy E= ½ K A^2

In summary, a simple harmonic oscillator can be described by the equation E = ½ KA^2, where A is the amplitude of oscillation. The kinetic and potential energies can be determined when the displacement is half the amplitude, with KE = 0.75E and PE = 0.25E. When the kinetic and potential energies are equal, the displacement is equal to A divided by the square root of 2.
Myr73
A simple harmonic oscillator has total energy
E= ½ K A^2
Where A is the amplitude of oscillation.
 E= KE+PE
a) Determine the kinetic and potential energies when the displacement is one half the amplitude.
b) For what value of the displacement does the kinetic energy equal the potential energy?

For a) I got ,
KE=?= 0.5mv^2
PE=?= mgy= 0.5 Kx^2
X= 0.5 A
0.5KA^2= 0.5mv^2 + 0.5Kx^2
0.5KA^2= 0.5mv^2 + 0.5K (0.5A)^2
KE= 0.5KA^2- 0.5K (0.5A)^2 = 0.5k(A^2- 0.5A^2)
PE= 0.5KA^2-0.5mv^2

And for b) all I have so far is
,Kinetic Energy= 1/2mv^2
Potential Energy = 1/2mx^2
So when KE=PE, then 1/2mv^2=1/2kx^2.
If you times by 2 then mv^2= kx^2 , therefore→ SquareRoot(mv^2/k)= x

But I don't know if that is correct or if it missing information

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers should be in terms of variables given by the problem. The speed v is not given so you must correct any of your answers that depend explicitly on v. Make sure your answers is in terms of A and k. That's all that's given.

Also, make sure you simplify your final answer as much as possible.

sorry.. is that for b or a as well?

You did not finish simplifying the expression for the kinetic energy K

How do I do that?

Myr73 said:
How do I do that?

Add the two terms together

Oh I think I got it.. a)KE= E-PE= 0.5KA^2- 0.5K (0.5A)^2=0.5KA^2- 0.25(0.5KA^2) (Note; 0.5KA^2=E) E-1/4E= 3/4E
PE= E-KE= E-3/4= 1/4E
b)Kinetic Energy= ½ mv^2
Potential Energy = ½ kx^2
So when KE=PE, PE is half of the energy,
therefore ½ Kx^2= ½ { ½ KA^2} x= SquareRoot{½ A^2} = A/ (SquareRoot 2)

Myr73 said:
Oh I think I got it.. a)KE= E-PE= 0.5KA^2- 0.5K (0.5A)^2=0.5KA^2- 0.25(0.5KA^2) (Note; 0.5KA^2=E) E-1/4E= 3/4E
PE= E-KE= E-3/4= 1/4E
b)Kinetic Energy= ½ mv^2
Potential Energy = ½ kx^2
So when KE=PE, PE is half of the energy,
therefore ½ Kx^2= ½ { ½ KA^2} x= SquareRoot{½ A^2} = A/ (SquareRoot 2)

Looks right now

Likes 1 person

1. What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a physical system that follows a sinusoidal oscillation pattern under the influence of a restoring force proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

2. What does the total energy of a simple harmonic oscillator depend on?

The total energy of a simple harmonic oscillator, denoted as E, depends on two main factors: the mass of the object, and the square of its amplitude of oscillation (A). It is also directly proportional to the square of the angular frequency (ω) of the oscillation.

3. How is the total energy of a simple harmonic oscillator calculated?

The total energy (E) of a simple harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the equation E = ½ K A^2, where K is the spring constant of the restoring force and A is the amplitude of oscillation.

4. What happens to the total energy of a simple harmonic oscillator when the amplitude is increased?

As the amplitude of oscillation (A) increases, the total energy (E) of a simple harmonic oscillator also increases. This is because the energy is directly proportional to the square of the amplitude (E ∝ A^2).

5. How does the total energy of a simple harmonic oscillator affect its motion?

The total energy (E) of a simple harmonic oscillator determines the maximum displacement and velocity of the object. As the total energy decreases, the amplitude and maximum velocity also decrease, resulting in a smaller oscillation. Conversely, as the total energy increases, the amplitude and maximum velocity also increase, leading to a larger oscillation.