A simple pendulum is suspended from the ceiling of an accelerating car

In summary, the problem is finding the moviment equation for the pendulum using Lagrangian and Hamiltonian equations. I managed to get the equations, which are shown in the blue box. Using the hamilton equations, I finally got that the equilibrium angle ##\theta_{e}## : $$\theta_{e} = \tan^{-1}(\frac{-a}{g})$$m which is the angle where ## \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}} =0 ##. Now, I got stuck. I tried to solve an EDO using the small angles approximation, but it doesn't seems to lead me anywhere, because I don't really have information for the initial
badluckmath
Homework Statement
Show that ## \omega = \frac{\sqrt{a^{2}+g^{2} }}{l} ## for small angles
Relevant Equations
After solving the Hamilton equations, we find that ## \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}} = -gsin(\theta)/l- acos(\theta)/l ##
Here is an image of the problem:
Sem título (2).png
The problem consist in finding the moviment equation for the pendulum using Lagrangian and Hamiltonian equations.
I managed to get the equations , which are shown insed the blue box:
Sem título (1).png

Using the hamilton equations, i finally got that the equilibrium angle ##\theta_{e}## : $$\theta_{e} = \tan^{-1}(\frac{-a}{g})$$m which is the angle where ## \frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}} =0 ##.

Now, i got stuck. I tried to solve an EDO using the small angles aproximation, but it doesn't seems to lead me anywhere, because i don't really have information for the initial values.

Attachments

• Sem título.png
    Sem título.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 144
Likes kent davidge
Physics news on Phys.org
You want small angles wrt ##\theta_e##, so work the equation around to ##\theta' = \theta -\theta_e## in first order of ##\theta'##.

Did you understand my post at all ? You want to work with ##\theta'##, not with ##y## .

BvU said:
Did you understand my post at all ? You want to work with θ′, not with y .
This was another question. About your answer, i used ## \mu = \theta + \theta_{e}## and i got the right answer. Which is the same as you said.

badluckmath said:
This was another question.
And do we have a problem statement for that one ?

Side note: use \cos and \sin, just like \tan.
That way there is no confusion about e.g.
## acos(\theta)/l## read as ## \operatorname {acos}(\theta)/l## instead of ## a\cos(\theta)/l##

BvU said:
And do we have a problem statement for that one ?

Side note: use \cos and \sin, just like \tan.
That way there is no confusion about e.g.
## acos(\theta)/l## read as ## \operatorname {acos}(\theta)/l## instead of ## a\cos(\theta)/l##
It's the same as before, but now, the acceleration is upwards .

Thread now looks garbled: there was a post #3 from you that has disappeared :oldconfused:
(not so bad, it was barely legible :nb) )

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is free to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity.

How does a simple pendulum behave in an accelerating car?

In an accelerating car, the simple pendulum will appear to swing at an angle relative to the car's direction of motion, due to the combined forces of gravity and the car's acceleration.

What factors affect the motion of a simple pendulum in an accelerating car?

The motion of a simple pendulum in an accelerating car is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the weight, the magnitude and direction of the car's acceleration, and the strength of gravity.

How does the acceleration of the car impact the period of the pendulum's swing?

The acceleration of the car will not impact the period of the pendulum's swing, as the period is determined by the length of the pendulum and the strength of gravity.

What is the significance of studying a simple pendulum in an accelerating car?

Studying a simple pendulum in an accelerating car can help us understand the effects of acceleration on the motion of objects, and how forces like gravity and acceleration can interact to produce complex motion.