Solving for the Period of a Simple Pendulum with Given Initial Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the period T for a simple pendulum with length l = 9.8m and initial condition \Theta_{0} = A. The equation for the pendulum is given by \ddot{\theta} + \sin{\theta} = 0 and the period T is shown to be given by the integral expression T = \int_0^\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\frac{1}{(1 - \alpha \sin^2{\phi})^\frac{1}{2} }\right)d\phi, where \alpha=\sin^2{\frac{1}{2}\Theta_{0}}. The conversation then explores using the equation t=\int\left
Caltez

Homework Statement

[/B]
A simple pendulum with l = 9.8m satisfies the equation:
[tex]\ddot{\theta} + \sin{\theta} = 0[/tex]

if [tex]\Theta_{0} = A[/tex]

Show that the period T is given by:
[tex]T = \int_0^\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\frac{1}{(1 - \alpha \sin^2{\phi})^\frac{1}{2} }\right)d\phi[/tex]

where,
[tex]\alpha=\sin^2{\frac{1}{2}\Theta_{0}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equation

It seems that I can use:
[tex]t=\int\left(\frac{1}{\pm(\frac{2E}{m}-\frac{k}{m}x^2)^\frac{1}{2}}\right)dx[/tex]
to find a T expression

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I start with:
[tex]t=\int\left(\frac{1}{\pm(\frac{2E}{m}-\frac{k}{m}\theta^2)^\frac{1}{2}}\right)d\theta[/tex]

I find the terms in the rational:
[tex]\frac{2E}{m}=\frac{2}{2m}(m\dot{\theta}^2 + \omega_{0}^2 \theta^2)[/tex]
[tex]k=\omega_{0}^2 m[/tex]
Substitute back into t:
[tex]t=\int\left(\frac{1}{\pm(\dot{\theta}^2-\omega_{0}\theta^2 + \omega_{0}\theta^2)^\frac{1}{2}}\right)d\theta[/tex]
which is just [tex]\ln{\dot{\theta}}[/tex]
at this point I am doubting whether I am on the right track, any insight would help tremendously!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Drowning in alphabet soup. Can you define all your variables? A picture might help.

Sure thing, here's the actual question.
wkMKWaK.jpg

Caltez said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A simple pendulum with l = 9.8m satisfies the equation:
[tex]\ddot{\theta} + \sin{\theta} = 0[/tex]

if [tex]\Theta_{0} = A[/tex]

Show that the period T is given by:
[tex]T = \int_0^\frac{\pi}{2}\left(\frac{1}{(1 - \alpha \sin^2{\phi})^\frac{1}{2} }\right)d\phi[/tex]

where,
[tex]\alpha=\sin^2{\frac{1}{2}\Theta_{0}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equation

It seems that I can use:
[tex]t=\int\left(\frac{1}{\pm(\frac{2E}{m}-\frac{k}{m}x^2)^\frac{1}{2}}\right)dx[/tex]
to find a T expression

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I start with:
[tex]t=\int\left(\frac{1}{\pm(\frac{2E}{m}-\frac{k}{m}\theta^2)^\frac{1}{2}}\right)d\theta[/tex]

I find the terms in the rational:
[tex]\frac{2E}{m}=\frac{2}{2m}(m\dot{\theta}^2 + \omega_{0}^2 \theta^2)[/tex]
[tex]k=\omega_{0}^2 m[/tex]
Substitute back into t:
[tex]t=\int\left(\frac{1}{\pm(\dot{\theta}^2-\omega_{0}\theta^2 + \omega_{0}\theta^2)^\frac{1}{2}}\right)d\theta[/tex]
which is just [tex]\ln{\dot{\theta}}[/tex]
at this point I am doubting whether I am on the right track, any insight would help tremendously!

Get rid of the ##\pm## sign in your expression for ##t##, The quantity ##( \cdots )^{1/2}## in the denominator is always ##> 0## (by definition of the 1/2-power function), and ##t > 0## also. Therefore, choose the + square root.

Caltez said:
It seems that I can use:
to find a T expression.
You might want to rethink this. The denominator comes from solving for the speed in ##\frac 12 mv^2 + \frac 12 kx^2 = E##, and the potential term corresponds to a force ##F = -kx##. That's not the same situation you have for the pendulum. The restoring torque isn't a linear function of ##\theta##.

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a fixed point that is allowed to swing freely back and forth. It consists of a mass (also known as a bob) attached to a string or rod, and its motion is governed by the laws of gravity and motion.

2. What factors affect the motion of a simple pendulum?

The motion of a simple pendulum is affected by its length, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. The longer the length of the string or rod, the slower the pendulum will swing. The heavier the mass of the bob, the slower the pendulum will swing. And the higher the acceleration due to gravity, the faster the pendulum will swing.

3. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum is the time it takes for one complete back and forth swing. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a compound pendulum?

A simple pendulum consists of a single weight suspended from a fixed point, while a compound pendulum has multiple weights or a non-uniform weight distribution. The motion of a compound pendulum is more complex and difficult to calculate compared to a simple pendulum.

5. How does the amplitude of a simple pendulum affect its motion?

The amplitude of a simple pendulum is the maximum angle of displacement from its resting position. The motion of the pendulum is affected by its amplitude in that a larger amplitude will result in a longer period and a smaller amplitude will result in a shorter period. The amplitude also affects the speed of the pendulum, with a larger amplitude resulting in a faster swing.