A simple system of two masses and two pulleys

In summary, the conversation is about finding the expression for the acceleration of two masses in a system. Adamm150 asks for help and is asked to show their attempt. Someone points out that their previous answer is incorrect and offers a hint about a constraint on the relationship between the two accelerations. Adamm150 agrees to try again.
adamm150
Homework Statement
A simple system of mass
Relevant Equations
mainly newtons second law
hey there,

I am confusing what is the right answer to this system of mass, I solved it a couple of time and I got different answers. can you help me with that?
I need to find the expression of the acceleration of the 2 masses.

thanks a lot,Adam.
asd.jpg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Adamm150,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Can you show us your attempt? We can't offer any help or advice without first seeing in detail what you've tried. Thanks.

A9R6jnsvh_1hp5jdv_a2k.jpg

on the left middle; if the system was stretch all the way. it will be easier to find the length equation, thanks a lot/

adamm150 said:
View attachment 272730
on the left middle; if the system was stretch all the way. it will be easier to find the length equation, thanks a lot/
I see you somehow got that a1=a2. That is incorrect.

Likes Delta2 and Chestermiller
ok i will try it agian

adamm150 said:
ok i will try it agian
Consider that the rope attached to M2 is of constant length. That places a constraint on the relationship between a1 and a2.

Likes Hamiltonian

1. What is a simple system of two masses and two pulleys?

A simple system of two masses and two pulleys is a basic mechanical system that consists of two masses connected by a rope or belt that is wrapped around two pulleys. The masses are able to move freely along a horizontal surface and the pulleys are fixed to the surface.

2. How does a simple system of two masses and two pulleys work?

In this system, the masses are connected by a rope or belt that passes over the two pulleys. When one mass moves, the other mass will also move due to the transfer of tension through the rope or belt. This system works based on the principle of mechanical advantage, where the force applied to one mass is multiplied and transferred to the other mass.

3. What are the advantages of using a simple system of two masses and two pulleys?

One advantage of this system is that it allows for a smaller force to be applied to one mass in order to move a larger mass. This can be useful in lifting heavy objects or in creating a mechanical advantage in various machines. Additionally, this system is simple and easy to set up, making it a popular choice for basic mechanical experiments.

4. What factors can affect the efficiency of a simple system of two masses and two pulleys?

The efficiency of this system can be affected by friction in the pulleys and the rope or belt, as well as the weight and distribution of the masses. Friction can cause a loss of tension and reduce the effectiveness of the system, while heavier masses may require more force to move and can affect the mechanical advantage.

5. How can a simple system of two masses and two pulleys be used in real-life applications?

This system can be used in various real-life applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. It can also be seen in everyday objects like window blinds and garage doors. In these applications, the system allows for the transfer of force and movement between two masses, making it a simple and efficient way to lift or move heavy objects.