A source for solved problems in Kinetic theory of gases

In summary, the conversation centered around the difficulties the speaker is facing in understanding the chapter on kinetic theory from Mehran Kardar's textbook. They expressed their desire to find other textbooks with solved examples to better grasp the topics. Some suggestions for alternative textbooks were provided, including "Statistical Mechanics" by Pathria, "Thermal Physics" by Kittel, and "Problems on Statistical Mechanics" by Dalvit, Frastai, and Lawrie. The speaker also mentioned that while Tolman's book includes most of the topics covered in Kardar's textbook, it lacks any practice problems.
kini.Amith
I am doing a course on statistical mechanics and we are using the textbook by Mehran Kardar. We are currently dealing with a chapter on kinetic theory. The problem is, I find the exercise problems to be quite tough (and many of my classmates agree with me), and there are no good solved examples that help familiarize with the topics first. Moreover, the text is quite terse and doesn't prepare me for the problems. Are there other textbooks that discuss kinetic theory, with solved examples. I would later like to do the problems in Kardar myself.
(The contents of the chapter includes liouville's theorem, BBGKY, Boltzmann equation, H theorem, eqbm properties, conservation laws 0th order and 1st order hydrodynamics. Most of the other textbooks I have seen either do not discuss kinetic theory in as much detail, or they are scattered all over the text. One book that does include most of these is by Tolman, but there isn't a single problem, not even exercises in the whole text.)

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Kinetic Theory of Gases?

Kinetic Theory of Gases is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of gases based on the motion of their particles. It states that gases are composed of small particles in constant motion and that the temperature of a gas is directly related to the average kinetic energy of its particles.

2. Why is Kinetic Theory of Gases important?

Kinetic Theory of Gases is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of gases in different conditions. It also provides a theoretical framework for many practical applications, such as gas laws and thermodynamics.

3. What are some solved problems in Kinetic Theory of Gases?

Some common solved problems in Kinetic Theory of Gases include calculating the average kinetic energy of gas particles, determining the root mean square velocity of gas molecules, and solving for the pressure of a gas using the ideal gas law.

4. Where can I find a source for solved problems in Kinetic Theory of Gases?

There are many online resources and textbooks that provide solved problems in Kinetic Theory of Gases. Some universities also have online resources or problem sets available for students to practice and test their understanding of the theory.

5. How can I apply Kinetic Theory of Gases to real-world situations?

Kinetic Theory of Gases can be applied to real-world situations in various fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to explain the behavior of gases in chemical reactions, the operation of gas-powered engines, and the properties of air in weather patterns.