A speck of dust that carries charge in a electric field?

In summary, the electric field pattern and the sign of the charge on the surface will be different depending on the size of the speck of dust.
Tangeton
A speck of dust has a mass of 1 x 10-18 kg and carries a charge equal to that of one electron. Near to the Earth's surface it experiences a uniform downward electric field od strength 100NC-1 and a uniform gravitational field of strength 9.8Nkg-1.

Draw a diagram which shows the electric field pattern and the sign of the charge on the surface.

I find my college's homeworks very confusing in wording and just generally to understand. I can do more stuff with exam Q's most of the time, but these homework bring me out of the safe zone because I can never actually understand what they are trying to say.

First of all, It says the speck of dust itself has a charge, does that mean that I can treat it as a point charge?

Secondly, if it's equal to one electron's charge, does it automatically make the charge negative? The homework sheet says "Electronic Charge = 1.6 x10-19", while the formula booklet says there is a minus before all that so I don't know whether it is a positive charge or a negative charged dust speck.

Thirdly, if it is a point charge, does it mean that it will have its own radial field that, depending on whether it is positive or negative, goes outwards or towards the charge? And that there is going to be a background electric field that is going downwards from most positive to least positive at the same time?

Fourthly, what does it mean by ''the sign of the charge on the surface''? Does it mean that I label the particle negative or positively?

Since this forum requires an attempt at answer:
20h63nm.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangeton said:
First of all, It says the speck of dust itself has a charge, does that mean that I can treat it as a point charge?
That depends on what you want to calculate. For the sketch, it should not matter (a sphere is easier to draw clearly).
Tangeton said:
Secondly, if it's equal to one electron's charge, does it automatically make the charge negative?
Probably, as an electron has a negative charge.
Tangeton said:
Thirdly, if it is a point charge, does it mean that it will have its own radial field that, depending on whether it is positive or negative, goes outwards or towards the charge?
It will have its own electric field, independent of the size of the speck of dust. You probably don't need this field.
Tangeton said:
Fourthly, what does it mean by ''the sign of the charge on the surface''? Does it mean that I label the particle negative or positively?
Probably, but I don't see the point in this part of the homework question.

You should show the E field pointing from the Earth to the speck (quiz: why not from the speck to the earth?). The surface they refer to must be the earth, since it's obvious what the charge on the speck is. The Earth's surface in the immediate vicinity of the speck will have charge induced due to the presence of the speck.

The wording on this problem does indeed leave much to be desired.

rude man said:
The surface they refer to must be the earth, since it's obvious what the charge on the speck is.
Ah, good idea.
The Earth's surface in the immediate vicinity of the speck will have charge induced due to the presence of the speck.
I doubt that's relevant, considering the tiny charge of the speck.

Yes, the wording of the problem is problematic.

mfb said:
I doubt that's relevant, considering the tiny charge of the speck.
But, it's a tiny problem! The flux lines have to end somewhere, and that somewhere is the earth.

1. What is a speck of dust that carries charge in an electric field?

A speck of dust that carries charge in an electric field is a small particle of dust that has acquired a net charge due to exposure to an electric field. This charge can either be positive or negative, and it can affect the movement and behavior of the dust particle within the electric field.

2. How does a speck of dust acquire a charge in an electric field?

A speck of dust can acquire a charge in an electric field through a process called charging by induction. This occurs when the electric field causes a separation of charges within the dust particle, resulting in a net charge on the surface of the particle. The type of charge acquired depends on the strength and direction of the electric field.

3. Can a speck of dust with a charge in an electric field affect other objects?

Yes, a speck of dust with a charge in an electric field can affect other objects. The charged dust particle can attract or repel other charged objects within the electric field. It can also influence the movement of nearby dust particles, causing them to either be attracted or repelled.

4. What factors can affect the charge on a speck of dust in an electric field?

The charge on a speck of dust in an electric field can be affected by several factors. These include the strength and direction of the electric field, the size and composition of the dust particle, and the environment in which the particle is located (such as humidity or temperature).

5. Can the charge on a speck of dust in an electric field be neutralized?

Yes, the charge on a speck of dust in an electric field can be neutralized. This can occur through various methods such as contact with a grounded object, exposure to a different electric field, or through the process of ion recombination where opposite charges cancel each other out.