A Spring pushing an object up a 25 cm slope

In summary, Zero explained that you can use the law of conservation of energy to solve a problem involving a spring and a box. He said that the different of potential and kinetic energy will give you the speed in the top (point B). He then said that the speed at A is easy to find since the potential energy of the spring is the kinetic energy of the box. However, he said that the speed at B is more difficult to find because the difference of energy is negative. Finally, he said that it is all good and that he should have also picked up on this.
Zero
Homework Statement
A box is initially at rest in the following system. The box is placed next to the spring and the spring (along with the box) is compressed 30.0 cm. The spring constant of the spring is 150 N/m, and the mass of the box is 540 grams.
a. Calculate the speed of the box at position B (assume energy has not been lost due to friction).
Relevant Equations
Since I know energy is lost due to friction would I use the formula ff= U (Fn) where Fn= 5.292 since that would be the gravity action on the object and normal for and gravity have to be equal. If I use the same logic would Ff= -Ek or no???
f= kx
= 150 n/m (.3m)
= 45n

Ug= 1/2 kx^2
= 1/2 (150) (.3)^2
= 75 (.09)
= 6.75 j

Ek= 1/2mv^2
6.75= 1/2 (.54) (v^2)
6.75= .27 (v^2)
25= v^2
5= v1

Screen Shot 2020-04-16 at 10.55.46 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Zero,

I understand, you can neglect the energy lost due to friction. Thus, to solve the problem you can use the law law of conservation of energy.

You need to know the speed of the box when the spring pushes it. Then, the different of potential and kinetic energy will give you the speed in the top (point B).

It means the final kinetic energy will be ##T = 1/2mv_B^2 = mgh-1/2mv_A²##. Now you need the speed at A. That's easy, the potential energy of the spring will be the kinetic energy of the box. In other words

$$1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv_A^2$$

Now, you only have to substitute ##v_A## in the previous equation to solve the speed at B

jonbovi said:
Dear Zero,

I understand, you can neglect the energy lost due to friction. Thus, to solve the problem you can use the law law of conservation of energy.

You need to know the speed of the box when the spring pushes it. Then, the different of potential and kinetic energy will give you the speed in the top (point B).

It means the final kinetic energy will be ##T = 1/2mv_B^2 = mgh-1/2mv_A²##. Now you need the speed at A. That's easy, the potential energy of the spring will be the kinetic energy of the box. In other words

$$1/2kx^2 = 1/2mv_A^2$$

Now, you only have to substitute ##v_A## in the previous equation to solve the speed at B
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I keep getting a negative number when I am left with v^2 which I can't square root. 1/2mv^2= .27 v^2 and mgh-1/2mv^2= -5.427 so therefore i get v^2=-20.1 which i can't square root. Can i just switch which one comes first then the answer would be positive and i can square root from there?

That's true, it is negative. That means that is not possible to reach the B point

jonbovi said:
That's true, it is negative. That means that is not possible to reach the B point
So what your saying is that its a trap, if so then I wasted hours on nothing. Thanx man really appreciate the help.

Oh, No sorry, I realize I messed up!

The right difference of energy is ## 1/2mv_B^2=1/2mv_A^2-mgh##

And this changes the sign. Sorry, my fault!

jonbovi said:
Oh, No sorry, I realize I messed up!

The right difference of energy is ## 1/2mv_B^2=1/2mv_A^2-mgh##

And this changes the sign. Sorry, my fault!
its all good man i should have also picked up on this too. Thank you I got the answer.

1. How does the force of the spring affect the object on the slope?

The force of the spring is what causes the object to move up the slope. As the spring is compressed, it exerts a force on the object in the direction of the slope, pushing it upwards. The greater the force of the spring, the faster the object will move up the slope.

2. What is the relationship between the slope angle and the force needed from the spring to move the object up?

The steeper the slope, the more force is needed from the spring to move the object up. This is because the steeper the slope, the greater the component of the force of gravity acting against the object's movement up the slope. Therefore, the spring needs to exert a greater force to overcome this resistance and move the object up the slope.

3. How does the mass of the object affect its movement up the slope?

The mass of the object does not directly affect its movement up the slope. However, it does affect the amount of force needed from the spring to move the object up. A heavier object will require a greater force from the spring to overcome its weight and move up the slope.

4. Is the spring's force constant as the object moves up the slope?

No, the force of the spring is not constant as the object moves up the slope. As the spring is compressed, its force increases, and as it expands, its force decreases. This means that the force of the spring will vary as the object moves up the slope.

5. What other factors could affect the object's movement up the slope besides the force of the spring?

Besides the force of the spring, other factors that could affect the object's movement up the slope include the friction between the object and the slope, the mass of the object, and the angle of the slope. These factors can either aid or hinder the object's movement up the slope.