A standing wave on a string with a mass hanging on it

In summary, a sphere of mass M=6.85 kg is supported by a string passing over a light horizontal rod of length L=0.73 m. By using trigonometry and the fundamental frequency of standing waves, the mass of the section of the string above the rod was determined to be 0.000927 kg. However, the given answer was deemed incorrect, leading to uncertainty about the correctness of the approach.
paul11

Homework Statement

A sphere of mass M=6.85 kg is supported by a string that passes over a light horizontal rod of length L=0.73 m.

Given that the angle is θ=22.3° and that the fundamental frequency of standing waves in the section of the string above the horizontal rod is f=246 Hz, determine the mass of this section of the string.

Homework Equations

v = √(T/μ)
μ = m / L
v = fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, I found the length of the string by using trig since it's a right triangle. L = 0.789 m (different L than on the attached picture)

It is the fundamental frequency so the λ = 2L. λ = 1.57 8m

The tension I found through looking at its FBD from which I obtained T = mg/sinθ. T = 177.09 N

Now I combined eliminating v from two of the equations above, I derived fλ = √(T/μ). Then I substitute μ = m / L and isolate m. I get an equation of m = (TL/[fλ]^2)

Using the derived equation, I calculate a value of m = 0.000927 kg, but the CAPA says it is wrong. I was quite confident on my approach, to the point that I'm doubting the CAPA now, so I don't know where my errors are.

Attachments

• sb-pic1824.png
    sb-pic1824.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,027
Physics news on Phys.org
The tension in the string is not mg/sinθ
it's just mg as the string passes over a (I presume) smooth end of the rod.
Otherwise the method is correct.

Related to A standing wave on a string with a mass hanging on it

1. What is a standing wave on a string with a mass hanging on it?

A standing wave on a string with a mass hanging on it is a type of wave that forms when a string is fixed at both ends and a mass is hung on it. The wave created has points that do not move, called nodes, and points that move back and forth, called antinodes. This creates a pattern of stationary waves that appear to be standing still.

2. How does a mass affect a standing wave on a string?

A mass hanging on a string affects the frequency and wavelength of the standing wave. The mass increases the tension in the string, which increases the speed of the wave and decreases the wavelength. This results in a higher frequency and a shorter distance between the nodes and antinodes.

3. What factors affect the speed of a standing wave on a string?

The speed of a standing wave on a string is affected by the tension in the string, the mass of the object hanging on the string, and the length of the string. As tension increases, so does the speed of the wave. A heavier mass will also increase the speed of the wave, while a longer string will decrease the speed.

4. How is the frequency of a standing wave on a string determined?

The frequency of a standing wave on a string is determined by the speed of the wave and the wavelength. The frequency is equal to the speed divided by the wavelength. As the tension or mass on the string changes, the wavelength and frequency will also change accordingly.

5. What is the relationship between the number of nodes and the harmonic of a standing wave on a string?

The number of nodes in a standing wave on a string is directly related to the harmonic of the wave. The first harmonic has one node, the second harmonic has two nodes, and so on. The number of nodes is always one less than the harmonic number.