A steady-state solution for the flow in the Boussineq approximation in a star

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding a solution for a flow directed along ##\vec{e_y}## and with a gradient along ##\vec{e_z}##. The equations given are ##\dfrac{\partial v_{z}}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{1}{\rho_0}\dfrac{\partial \delta P}{\partial z}+\alpha g \delta T\quad(1)##, ##\dfrac{\partial v_{x}}{\partial t} - 2\Omega_{z} v_{y}=0\quad(2)##, and ##\dfrac{\partial v_{y}}{\partial t} + 2\Omega
fab13
Hello,

I am trying desperately to find the solution indicated in this question :

V8zBal6.png

If I compute the equations on the 3 axis, I can't get the flow to be directed along ##\vec{e_y}##.

I have only :

##\dfrac{\partial v_{z}}{\partial t} = -\dfrac{1}{\rho_0}\dfrac{\partial \delta P}{\partial z}+\alpha g \delta T\quad(1)##

##\dfrac{\partial v_{x}}{\partial t} - 2\Omega_{z} v_{y}=0\quad(2)##

##\dfrac{\partial v_{y}}{\partial t} + 2\Omega_{z} v_{x}=0\quad(3)##

Anyone could see how to prove a flow directed along ##\vec{e_{y}}## for the steady solution of this equation ?

and with a gradient along ##\vec{e_{z}}## ?

Any help would be kind.

Attachments

• V8zBal6.png
    V8zBal6.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 881
Astronomy news on Phys.org
There must be a flow along the y direction caused by the Coriolis force. The boussinesq approximation gives you buoyancy which fits with vertical flow. Use the given formula to partition total flow into the 2 perpendicular directions.

The solution to b should be in a few pages back in the textbook. I do not know what textbook you got that from. That wording of a question usually means the authors definition was in bold print or something similar. Also a likely test question so you might as well memorize that definition.

1. What is the Boussineq approximation?

The Boussineq approximation is a simplification of the Navier-Stokes equations that is commonly used to model the flow of a viscous fluid at low speeds. It assumes that the density of the fluid is constant, and that the velocity and pressure gradients are small.

2. How does the Boussineq approximation apply to a star?

In the context of a star, the Boussineq approximation is used to model the flow of plasma within the star's interior. This allows scientists to study the convection and mixing processes that occur within stars, which are crucial for understanding their evolution and energy production.

3. What is a steady-state solution?

A steady-state solution is a solution to a set of equations that remains constant over time. In the context of the Boussineq approximation, it refers to a state where the flow of the plasma within the star is constant and does not change with time.

4. Why is a steady-state solution important in studying the flow in a star?

A steady-state solution allows scientists to study the long-term behavior of the plasma flow within a star. This is important for understanding how energy is transported within the star and how it evolves over time.

5. How is a steady-state solution for the flow in the Boussineq approximation determined?

To determine a steady-state solution for the flow in the Boussineq approximation, scientists use mathematical techniques such as numerical simulations or analytical solutions. These methods allow them to solve the equations that describe the flow and determine the steady-state solution.