A: "Transforming Coal into Diamond: How Much Does One Pound of Gold Compress?"

In summary, it is possible to turn coal into a diamond using high pressure and high temperature, but this is not something that is easy to do.
chicopee
If I have one pound of gold heated and compressed into a diamond, what will the weight of the diamond be?
PS

Physics news on Phys.org
Um... gold is made of... gold. Diamond's are made of carbon... You can squeeze the gold all you want. you're not getting a diamond.

However, if you mean have 1 pound of pure carbon (like super anthracite coal or something) I don't see why you can't make 1 pound of diamond given perfect conditions.

If I have one pound of gold heated and compressed into a diamond, what will the weight of the diamond be?
Why would heat and compression change the mass?

Would you like to convert 1 troy pound of gold (373.24 grams) into a 1 avoirdupois pound gold diamond (453.59 grams)? If you find out how to do it, please let me know.

What do you think "gold diamond" means??

I am not sure what I talk about here when I say this, but, aren't diamonds made from carbon, so how would you turn gold into a diamond?

GrizzlyBat said:
I am not sure what I talk about here when I say this, but, aren't diamonds made from carbon, so how would you turn gold into a diamond?
Alchemy of course. :rolleyes:

Sorry responders, I meant coal not gold-the laugh is on me- it must have been a long day.
PS

Ah.

ATW*, coal is between 65% and 90% carbon, depending on the type. So...

*(According to Wiki)

How cool would it be to be Lois Lane? Anytime she wants a diamond, she just has Superman use his super strength to squeeze a lump of coal. But is this really possible? Using a high enough temperature and enough pressure, can you turn coal into diamonds? To answer this, we have to address the nature and formation of coal and the nature and formation of diamonds.

First, though, we have to talk about the carbon atom and what makes it so special. "My carbon is too soft" "My carbon is too impure" "My carbon is just right." Brian Diskin Carbon: One Unique Atom There are over 100 different kinds of atoms in the universe, and carbon stands out as a unique atom.

chicopee said:
PS

These Alchemists keep getting greedier!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How is coal transformed into diamond?

Coal is transformed into diamond through a process called metamorphism. This process involves subjecting coal to extremely high pressures and temperatures, which causes the carbon atoms in coal to rearrange and form the crystal structure of diamond.

2. What is the difference between coal and diamond?

Coal and diamond are both made of carbon, but their physical and chemical properties are very different. Coal is a soft, black, sedimentary rock, while diamond is the hardest naturally occurring substance and has a clear, crystalline structure. Additionally, coal is mainly used as a source of energy, while diamond is highly valued for its beauty and use in jewelry.

3. How much does one pound of coal compress?

The amount of compression that occurs in coal depends on the specific type of coal and the amount of pressure applied. Generally, one pound of coal can compress to a few cubic centimeters or less under high pressure.

4. Can coal be transformed into diamond artificially?

Yes, it is possible to transform coal into diamond artificially through a process called high-pressure high-temperature (HPHT) synthesis. This involves subjecting coal to high pressures and temperatures in the presence of a catalyst to speed up the transformation process. However, this method is expensive and is mainly used for industrial purposes rather than creating jewelry-grade diamonds.

5. Is transforming coal into diamond a sustainable process?

No, transforming coal into diamond is not considered a sustainable process. It requires high amounts of energy and resources, and also contributes to carbon emissions and environmental degradation. Additionally, the resulting diamonds are not considered ethically sourced as they are artificially created rather than naturally mined.