A Uniform Beam Supported by a Cable

In summary, a 250 kg beam supported by a cable connected to the ceiling and resting on a rough, horizontal floor is being analyzed. The tension in the cable can be found using either torques or by resolving the tension into horizontal and vertical components. However, the working shown in the attempt does not account for the correct angle and does not include the frictional force at the ground.
ginza88

Homework Statement

A uniform 250 kg beam is supported by a cable connected to the ceiling, as shown in the figure. The lower end of the beam rests on a rough, horizontal floor. What is the magnitude of the tension in this cable?

Image of the problem:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1026378/6/yg.10.70.jpg

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this problem is easiest to complete using torques, but I was told to try it without using torque (if possible). That being said, here is my attempt:

http://imgur.com/jKr3tDC

I know that I got the right answer but I am not sure how. Aren't the 40 degrees and the 20 degrees are the wrong angles to use when using a horizontal/vertically oriented plane?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your working does indeed look wrong.
You show the tension resolving into T cos(20o) horizontally and T sin(20o) vertically, whereas the cable makes an angle 60o to the horizontal.
You don't show any frictional force at the ground, but there must be one.

Related to A Uniform Beam Supported by a Cable

1. How does a uniform beam supported by a cable work?

A uniform beam supported by a cable relies on the principle of balance. The cable supports the weight of the beam and any additional load placed on it, while the beam distributes that weight evenly along its length. This allows for a stable and secure structure.

2. What materials are typically used for the cable in a uniform beam system?

The cable used in a uniform beam system is typically made of a strong and durable material such as steel or high-strength synthetic fibers. The material chosen will depend on the specific load and environmental factors of the structure.

3. How is the angle of the cable determined in a uniform beam system?

The angle of the cable in a uniform beam system is determined by the weight of the beam and any additional load placed on it. The cable must be positioned at an angle that allows it to support the weight without becoming too taut or slack.

4. What are the advantages of using a uniform beam supported by a cable?

One advantage of using a uniform beam supported by a cable is that it can support a large amount of weight while distributing it evenly along the length of the beam. This allows for a more efficient use of materials and can result in a lighter and more cost-effective structure.

5. What are some common applications of a uniform beam supported by a cable?

A uniform beam supported by a cable is commonly used in bridge construction, as well as in large-scale structures such as cranes and suspension buildings. It is also used in smaller applications, such as supporting shelves or hanging plants.