A vessel with fluids of two different refractive indices

In summary, the homework statement is true if the observer is just under the surface of the upper fluid. The apparent depth is the real depth plus the square of the refractive index of the upper fluid.
Vriska

Homework Statement

both filled to height h in the vessel of length 2h. one has refractive index root 2 and the bottom fluid has refractive index n. find the apparent depth of vessel.

Homework Equations

n = real depth/apparent depth

The Attempt at a Solution

what these guys have done :

apparent depth = d/sqrt(2) + d/n

I don't get it, how do you add depths like these esp. when refraction happens at medium n and medium sqrt(2).?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you were in the medium of refractive index ##\sqrt 2##, what would be the apparent depth of the other medium?

Orodruin said:
If you were in the medium of refractive index ##\sqrt 2##, what would be the apparent depth of the other medium?

if I were at the bottom of interface at distance d, the apparent depth would be d*##\sqrt 2## /n. my guess was I'd add this to the ##\frac{d} {\sqrt 2}##, that's wrong apparently

Vriska said:
if I were at the bottom of interface at distance d, the apparent depth would be d*√2/n
Right.
Vriska said:
my guess was I'd add this to the d/√2
No. Adapt your correct answer above to the situation in which the observer is just under the surface of the upper fluid, then compare it with an object that really is at that depth in such a fluid. How would that be seen from just above that fluid?

I
haruspex said:
Right.

No. Adapt your correct answer above to the situation in which the observer is just under the surface of the upper fluid, then compare it with an object that really is at that depth in such a fluid. How would that be seen from just above that fluid?

just under the upper fluid? Then thered be no refraction right?

haruspex said:
Right.

okay mathematically : change in depth due to medium 2 = d- sqrt(2)d/n, due to medium 1 = d - d/sqrt(2), total change in depth is 2d - sqrt(2)d/n - d/sqrt(2) this is subtracted from total depth to get apparent depth . = sqrt(2)d/n +d/sqrt 2. wrong answer, right?

Vriska said:
just under the upper fluid?
Just under the (upper) surface of the upper fluid.

haruspex said:
Just under the (upper) surface of the upper fluid.

okay real depth at supper surface of upper fluid is d + d*sqrt(2)/n

so sqrt 2 = d +d*sqrt(2)/apparent depth. ad =d(n+sqrt2)/n*sqrt2. thanks! BTW, would you happen to know if the method used in the book make sense?

Vriska said:
would you happen to know if the method used in the book make sense?
Maybe, but I cannot think of a simple argument to support it. When in doubt, draw ray diagrams.

1. What is a vessel with fluids of two different refractive indices?

A vessel with fluids of two different refractive indices is a container that holds two different liquids with varying levels of light refraction.

2. What is the purpose of a vessel with fluids of two different refractive indices?

The purpose of such a vessel is to demonstrate the phenomenon of light refraction and how it changes when passing through different mediums.

3. How does a vessel with fluids of two different refractive indices work?

The fluids in the vessel have different refractive indices, meaning that they bend light at different angles. When light passes through the boundary between the two fluids, it changes direction, creating a visual effect.

4. What is the significance of a vessel with fluids of two different refractive indices in science?

This vessel is commonly used in science demonstrations to show the principles of light refraction and how it affects the path of light.

5. Can different liquids be used in a vessel with fluids of two different refractive indices?

Yes, different liquids with varying refractive indices can be used in this vessel. This allows for a wider range of demonstrations and experiments to be conducted.