A web-browser-based calculator for physicists

In summary, the conversation is about the development of a calculator for physicists that can be easily accessed through a web browser without the need for installation or an internet connection. The calculator includes features such as unit manipulation, physical constants, and plotting capabilities. It is being developed on Github and the developer welcomes others to join and provide feedback. The conversation also compares the calculator to other tools like Google and WolframAlpha, and discusses the potential target audience for the calculator. Additionally, the use of programming language Groovy to handle units of measure is mentioned.
fffred
Hi,

I am currently developing a calculator for physicists which can be very simply opened in a web browser, without the need to install anything, or even be online. The repository is currently on Github here and can be freely accessed (click the download zip button at the bottom right corner).

Anyone interested in joining the development is welcome. Also, if you find bugs or have good ideas for improvements, that's also welcome.

The calculator can obviously do calculations with numbers, but also includes units manipulation, and physical constants. I recently added the capability to plot curves, so that's convenient for quick visualization of functions.

I know that google can already do all this calculation and graphing, but I was kind of tired of typing the full name for constants, such as "electron charge". Also you cannot add custom things to google calculator, and you have to be online.

So here you go, please tell me what you think.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do you know WolframAlpha?
I think you should compare your project to that, and not to the (very limited) calculator features of the google search.

Also MATLAB has an app for interfacing with a MATLAB server to do the things that it does well. Many computational physicists and engineers use MATLAB for project work.

MATLAB doesn't handle units of measure so that may be a plus in your favor.

You could also check out domain specific languages such as the groovy addon that supports units of measure:

def y = 99.inches + 32.feet

println y.feet

or something like that:

http://groovy.dzone.com/news/domain-specific-language-unit-

Remember its a long uphill battle to build a better mousetrap ask any mouse...

You'll have to decide on your target audience, high school/college students or physicists/engineers who've used tools like MATLAB and Mathematica and have them installed on their work machines.

Last edited:
There are definitely things out there that can do that stuff already.

About WolframAlpha, there are no possible comparisons in terms of capabilities. I do not aim at competing with this at all. The goal is a calculator that is available offline, thus would go faster for simple calculations (and is open source).

Also, I use MATLAB all the time, but it is a very heavy (and pricy) program that I don't launch for simple stuff. And it does not do units.

Concerning groovy, or similar, that's a programming language and the idea is to keep things simple without the need for the user of programming anything.

fffred said:
Concerning groovy, or similar, that's a programming language and the idea is to keep things simple without the need for the user of programming anything.

With respect to groovy, the example I posted was a domain specific language for endusers not programmers. The idea was that sometimes typing in your equation with units of measure is better. I thought you might be interested in how it handled units of measure.

1. What is a web-browser-based calculator for physicists?

A web-browser-based calculator for physicists is an online tool that allows scientists and researchers to perform complex mathematical calculations and simulations related to physics. It can be accessed through any internet browser without the need for any additional software.

2. What are some features of a web-browser-based calculator for physicists?

Some features of a web-browser-based calculator for physicists include the ability to perform calculations and conversions related to various physical quantities such as energy, velocity, and force. It may also have built-in formulas and equations specific to different branches of physics.

3. Is a web-browser-based calculator for physicists reliable?

Yes, a web-browser-based calculator for physicists is reliable as long as it is developed by a reputable source and regularly updated. It is also important for users to input accurate data and use the calculator correctly to ensure accurate results.

4. Can a web-browser-based calculator for physicists be used for educational purposes?

Yes, a web-browser-based calculator for physicists can be used for educational purposes such as learning and practicing complex physics equations and concepts. It can also be used by teachers to create interactive lessons and assignments for students.

5. Is a web-browser-based calculator for physicists accessible to everyone?

Yes, a web-browser-based calculator for physicists is accessible to everyone as long as they have an internet connection and access to a web browser. It can be used on different devices such as computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones, making it convenient for users to access anytime and anywhere.