A Winter Conundrum - climbing salt

• Thread starter WhatReally
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salt
In summary, climbing salt is a winter conundrum that many outdoor enthusiasts face. Salt-covered surfaces, such as icy roads and sidewalks, can be extremely slippery and dangerous for climbers. However, there are ways to combat this challenge, such as using specialized equipment like crampons and microspikes, or choosing alternative routes with less salt buildup. Another option is to wait for warmer weather when the salt has melted or been cleared away. Despite the difficulties, winter climbing can still be a rewarding and exhilarating experience with proper precautions and preparation.
WhatReally
Per photo, snow and salt melted off my boots treads seems to have "climbed" out the the tray where I keep them. I find this absolutely bizarre.
Any thoughts?
boot tray salt escape.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice one.

Probably some combination of temperature gradient, air movement drying the salt, tray surface hydrophobicity/hydrophilicity and a wicking effect of the salt that already crystallized. Not that I have a quick and obvious idea about details, but it might be quite non trivial and depend on very particular position of the tray near a heater, vent and so on.

Makes sense. Thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. What is "A Winter Conundrum - climbing salt"?

"A Winter Conundrum - climbing salt" is a scientific phenomenon that occurs when salt crystals appear to climb up the sides of a container in cold weather. It is also known as the "salt chimney" effect.

2. What causes the climbing salt phenomenon?

The climbing salt phenomenon is caused by a combination of factors, including the shape and structure of the salt crystals, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment, and the presence of impurities in the salt.

3. Can any type of salt exhibit the climbing salt phenomenon?

Yes, any type of salt can exhibit the climbing salt phenomenon. However, the shape and size of the salt crystals may vary depending on the type of salt used.

4. Is the climbing salt phenomenon harmful or dangerous?

No, the climbing salt phenomenon is not harmful or dangerous. It is simply a natural occurrence that can be observed in certain conditions.

5. Can the climbing salt phenomenon be replicated in a controlled environment?

Yes, the climbing salt phenomenon can be replicated in a controlled environment by recreating the necessary conditions, such as temperature and humidity, and using the same type of salt and container. This can be a fun and educational experiment for students and scientists alike.