A Year Since Gen. Chem I, what to review for Gen. Chem 2?

In summary, if you are an A student in Chem 1, you should consider taking the class in the fall. If you are not an A student, you should consider taking the class in the summer.
Of Mike and Men
Hey everyone,

I need to take Gen. Chem 2, and planned on doing it over the Summer in a 6-week condensed course with another 9-week programming class. I'm not sure if this is overboard, but I feel like it should be manageable with no jobs or interns this Summer. The reason I want to take it this Summer is because I am also doing a math minor, and it allows me to avoid taking Chem. 2 with an upper division math course, plus CS courses. If this is a bad idea, however, please talk me out of it.

Anyways, the Gen. Chem 2 class is the second half of Summer, so I'll have some time to prepare for it. I've heard the class is fairly independent of Chem 1, but was wondering what I should spend time reviewing. I don't remember much from Chem 1. I took it last Summer, and it was fairly easy, beyond that I don't remember much.
What should I review?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think practicing to balance equations and unit conversion is always a good idea. If you covered molarity and molality, then I am remembering that these topics were a very good foundation for the second general chemistry at my institution.

Likes Of Mike and Men
Were you an A student in Chem 1? If not, you should consider taking it in the fall. A summer class is very condensed ie lots of material to absorb very fast. You will need to read a lot AND do lots of chemistry problems. In a summer class, you cannot afford to start slow, get off track or fall behind as there is NO TIME to catch up or recover from a bad start. A fall class offers this cushion even with a tougher course load.
That said, if you have no other distractions and you brush up on your Chem 1 material, you should have a smooth transition and do well. If you have anything come up during your class, you must be very selective in what you do and avoid major distractions or you will find yourself re-taking the class later.

1. What are the main topics covered in Gen. Chem 1 that I should review for Gen. Chem 2?

Some of the main topics covered in Gen. Chem 1 that you should review for Gen. Chem 2 include atomic structure, chemical bonding, stoichiometry, gas laws, and thermodynamics.

2. Do I need to remember all the equations from Gen. Chem 1 for Gen. Chem 2?

While it is not necessary to remember every single equation from Gen. Chem 1, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental equations and how to apply them in different situations. It is also helpful to review any equations that you struggled with in Gen. Chem 1.

3. Is it important to review the periodic table for Gen. Chem 2?

Yes, it is important to review the periodic table for Gen. Chem 2. You will continue to use the periodic table in this course, and it is important to have a good understanding of the trends and patterns within the table.

4. What are some resources I can use to review for Gen. Chem 2?

Some helpful resources for reviewing for Gen. Chem 2 include your Gen. Chem 1 textbook, lecture notes, practice problems, and online tutorials or study guides. You can also reach out to your professor or teaching assistant for additional resources or clarification on any topics.

5. How can I prepare for the more difficult topics in Gen. Chem 2?

To prepare for more difficult topics in Gen. Chem 2, it is important to have a strong foundation in the basic concepts from Gen. Chem 1. Make sure to review these topics thoroughly and practice applying them in different scenarios. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from your professor or classmates when needed.