AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego

• Thread starter Mister T
  • Start date
  • Tags
    aapt
In summary: I haven't forgotten about this, Greg. I wanted to ask Tom O'Kuma in person since I know him fairly well and he is connected, being an active member of committees and a past president. I didn't see him at the meeting. I don't know if he wasn't there or it was just because I combined business with pleasure by bringing my wife to visit her sister in San Diego, so I didn't hang out as much during off-hours.I'll follow up with Tom and see if he might be able to connect you with someone at the meeting who can help you out.In summary, anyone planning on going to the 2018 Winter
Mister T
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone planning on going to the 2018 Winter AAPT Meeting? It's January 6-9 in San Diego.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Science news on Phys.org
It seems to be interesting :woot:

Would love to but the non member ticket prices are way too high for me.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Would love to but the non member ticket prices are way too high for me.

Yes, unfortunately due to rising costs the AAPT committee made a decision to try to generate more revenue from sources other than their members. One of those was to increase dramatically the cost of their publications to libraries, and another was to raise non-member fees. That was about 15-20 years ago IIRC.

I'm sure I'll run into Tom O'Kuma at the meeting and I'll ask him if their are ways to perhaps recognize or endorse PF so that things like non-member fees might be waived for you. If that's something you might be interested in?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mister T said:
I'm sure I'll run into Tom O'Kuma at the meeting and I'll ask him if their are ways to perhaps recognize or endorse PF so that things like non-member fees might be waived for you. If that's something you might be interested in?
That would be awesome! Let me know if you need anything!

Greg Bernhardt said:
non member ticket prices are way too high for me.

Joining first is cheaper than non-member. (An old trick, but it still works)

Mister T said:
Anyone planning on going to the 2018 Winter AAPT Meeting? It's January 6-9 in San Diego.
Thinking about it, especially since I live relatively close by. Unfortunately, the schools I work at won't cover the cost of attending as it's between semesters.

I can't go, I'd love to. Membership in AAPT has gotten too expensive and I'd rather spend that money on reference texts. I get access to AJP and Physics Teacher thru work and referee papers for AJP even though I am not a member (I figure I should give back to the educational community as a staff member at a national lab).

I was supposed to leave tonight (Saturday night) but flight delays messed up my connection.
I'll leave tomorrow afternoon and arrive Sunday evening.

I'll give a contributed talk Monday night in Session FG: Teaching Ideas for Upper Division Courses.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mister T said:
Hope you can put in a good word for me! I'd love to go to the next and meet everyone!

Likes Mister T
robphy said:
I was supposed to leave tonight (Saturday night) but flight delays messed up my connection.
I'll leave tomorrow afternoon and arrive Sunday evening.

I'll give a contributed talk Monday night in Session FG: Teaching Ideas for Upper Division Courses.

Dang! You almost don't conflict with Don Lincoln.

Mister T said:
Dang! You almost don't conflict with Don Lincoln.

Don Lincoln’s talk is off-site.
One can’t attend his talk then attend mine.
I wish they didn’t schedule it this way.
Usually, there are no parallel sessions during the plenaries... but maybe this isn’t a plenary.
I, myself, wanted to see his talk.

But I’m more concerned that the audience for our session will be much smaller than it would be if there was no conflict.

It was a small audience.

I'm not sure how many attended the Don Lincoln talk.
The football game was also going on. And it was raining.

Otherwise, it was a good session.

I'd say about 40 people from AAPT, along with about another 40 people in attendance. He geared the presentation for the layman since the award he was receiving was for public outreach and there were enough of them in attendance.

robphy said:
Otherwise, it was a good session.
Any chance at posting some video?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Hope you can put in a good word for me! I'd love to go to the next and meet everyone!

I haven't forgotten about this, Greg. I wanted to ask Tom O'Kuma in person since I know him fairly well and he is connected, being an active member of committees and a past president. I didn't see him at the meeting. I don't know if he wasn't there or it was just because I combined business with pleasure by bringing my wife to visit her sister in San Diego, so I didn't hang out as much during off-hours.

Anyway, I will follow up. AAPT should be able to offer discounts to people like you since you provide such a great professional development opportunity for physics educators. PF is operated and maintained extremely well, and it attracts physicists and physics educators who provide a lot of help to each other. Plus, I know of no better way for a teacher to polish skills than to answer questions here. We see first-hand the most common types of learner misconceptions and learn strategies for dealing with them.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt and robphy

What is the AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego?

The AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego is an annual conference organized by the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) that brings together physics educators, researchers, and students from around the world to share their knowledge and advancements in the field of physics education.

When and where will the AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego take place?

The AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego will take place from January 6-9, 2018 at the Town and Country San Diego hotel in San Diego, California.

Who can attend the AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego?

The AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego is open to anyone with an interest in physics education, including AAPT members, non-members, researchers, educators, and students.

What is the purpose of the AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego?

The AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego serves as a platform for physics educators to share innovative teaching methods, research findings, and best practices in physics education. It also provides an opportunity for networking and collaborations among colleagues in the field.

How can I register for the AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego?

Registration for the AAPT 2018 Winter Meeting in San Diego can be done online through the AAPT website or on-site at the conference. Registration fees vary depending on membership status and registration date, and discounts are available for students and early bird registrants.