Anyone attending AAPT Sacramento? MAA MathFest Columbus?

In summary, the conversation discusses upcoming conferences for the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) and the Mathematical Association of America (MAA). The AAPT has conferences in February and July of 2017, and January of 2018, while the MAA has conferences in July and August of 2017, and January of 2018. The speaker expresses interest in attending the AAPT and MAA conferences, particularly the MAA Mathfest in Columbus, and notes that these conferences are not well advertised to students. They also mention the possibility of attending both the AAPT and MAA conferences in 2018.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Just thought I'd ask again (and again)...
(It'll be my first MAA meeting.)

https://www.aapt.org/Conferences/sm2016/
http://www.maa.org/meetings/mathfest

The upcoming AAPT conferences are listed at https://www.aapt.org/Conferences/
  • 2017 Winter Meeting, February 18-21 (Atlanta, Georgia)
  • 2017 Summer Meeting, July 22-26 (Cincinnati, Ohio)
  • 2018 Winter Meeting, January 6-9 (San Diego, California)
(Because of that late date, it's unlikely that I'll be able to attend the Atlanta conference.)

The upcoming MAA conferences are listed at http://www.maa.org/meetings/calendar-events/future-meetings
MathFest
  • 2017: Chicago, IL | July 26-29, 2017
  • 2018: Denver, CO | August 1-4, 2018
MAA/AMS
  • 2017: Atlanta, GA | January 4-7, 2017
  • 2018: San Diego, CA | January 10-13, 2018
Hmmm... consecutive conferences in San Diego 2018.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Science news on Phys.org
I didn't know about the MAA Mathfest in Columbus until now...that's right down the road from me, so I might have to sign up. This might be my last chance to cash in on student rates.

I wish more students would take advantage of these meetings.
It seems that these meetings are not well advertised to students...
and, in my experience, many faculty seem uninterested in these meetings.

Likes RUber
The 2017 AAPT Summer meeting July 22-27, 2017 is actually in Covington KY (a few minutes across the Ohio River from Cincinnati OH). I could drive there to save on travel... And maybe go to MathFest in Chicago on the way back.

1. What is AAPT Sacramento and MAA MathFest Columbus?

AAPT Sacramento and MAA MathFest Columbus are two annual conferences for scientists, specifically for those in the fields of physics and mathematics. AAPT stands for the American Association of Physics Teachers, and their conference in Sacramento, California focuses on physics education. MAA stands for the Mathematical Association of America, and their conference is held in Columbus, Ohio and focuses on mathematics research and education.

2. Who can attend these conferences?

These conferences are open to anyone with an interest in physics and mathematics, including scientists, educators, students, and enthusiasts. Both events also offer special discounts for AAPT and MAA members.

3. What is the purpose of these conferences?

The purpose of these conferences is to bring together individuals from the physics and mathematics communities to share knowledge, research, and best practices. Attendees can attend presentations, workshops, and networking events to learn about the latest developments in their fields and collaborate with others.

4. What can I expect to see at these conferences?

These conferences typically feature a variety of activities, including keynote speakers, panel discussions, poster presentations, and workshops. Attendees can also visit exhibitor booths to learn about new products and resources in the fields of physics and mathematics.

5. How can I register for AAPT Sacramento and MAA MathFest Columbus?

Registration for these conferences can typically be done online through the AAPT and MAA websites. There are different registration options available, including early bird rates and on-site registration. It is recommended to register in advance to secure a spot and take advantage of any discounts.