Calculate the focal distance of the duplicate

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a chromatic doublet lens, which consists of two lenses with different curvatures and refractive indices, placed close together to minimize chromatic aberration. The focal distance of the duplicate is calculated by using the standard strategy for solving compound lens problems, where an object is placed at a finite distance in front of the combination and the position of the final image is found. The calculation should take into account the air gap between the lenses.
Karl Karlsson
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Lensmaker's equation
The picture below shows a so-called chromatic doublet, which is designed to minimize chromatic aberration, ie the wavelength dependence of the refractive index of the glass. The first lens has a flat first surface and a concave second surface with radius of curvature R and index of refraction n1 . The second lens is double convex with curvature radius R (refraction index n2) and sits close to the first lens. The lenses can be considered thin.

Skärmavbild 2020-03-04 kl. 21.26.05.png

My try:

IMG_0591.jpeg

I seem to be getting the wrong answer. What am i doing wrong?

Correct answer is R/(2*n2 - n1 - 1)

Attachments

• IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 158
Physics news on Phys.org
What did you use for the focal length of the second lens? Note that the figure shows a clear air gap between the two lenses. This means that you should find the two focal lengths as if the lenses were surrounded by air.

On edit: You need to adopt the standard strategy for solving compound lens problems of this kind: (a) Put an object at some finite distance ##s## in front of the combination; (b) find the position of the image ##s'##; (c) Treat the image as the object for the second lens (pay close attention to what is real and what is virtual); (d) find the position of the final image ##s''##; (e) let ##s## go to infinity and see what ##s''## becomes; (f) relate ##s''## to the focal length of the combination.

I tried this method for this problem and got the answer you quoted as correct.

Last edited:
Why does ##n_1## appear in the formula for lens 2 while ##n_2## does not appear in the formula for lens 1 ?

Does close together mean zero in between ?

kuruman said:
What did you use for the focal length of the second lens? Note that the figure shows a clear air gap between the two lenses. This means that you should find the two focal lengths as if the lenses were surrounded by air.

On edit: You need to adopt the standard strategy for solving compound lens problems of this kind: (a) Put an object at some finite distance ##s## in front of the combination; (b) find the position of the image ##s'##; (c) Treat the image as the object for the second lens (pay close attention to what is real and what is virtual); (d) find the position of the final image ##s''##; (e) let ##s## go to infinity and see what ##s''## becomes; (f) relate ##s''## to the focal length of the combination.

I tried this method for this problem and got the answer you quoted as correct.
My bad I can see my mistake as you pointed out now. I didn't think of the air gap between the lenses. Thanks!

1. What is the focal distance of the duplicate?

The focal distance of the duplicate is the distance between the lens of the duplicate and the focal point, where the image is formed. It is an important factor in determining the quality and clarity of the duplicated image.

2. How do you calculate the focal distance of the duplicate?

The focal distance of the duplicate can be calculated using the formula: F = (d x D)/d+D, where F is the focal distance, d is the distance between the object and the lens of the duplicate, and D is the distance between the lens of the duplicate and the focal point.

3. What units are used to measure the focal distance of the duplicate?

The focal distance of the duplicate is typically measured in millimeters (mm) or centimeters (cm). However, it can also be measured in inches (in) or meters (m) depending on the scale of the duplicate and the precision required.

4. Why is it important to calculate the focal distance of the duplicate?

Calculating the focal distance of the duplicate is important because it helps to determine the size and clarity of the duplicated image. It also allows for adjustments to be made to the distance between the object and the duplicate lens to achieve the desired image quality.

5. Can the focal distance of the duplicate be changed?

Yes, the focal distance of the duplicate can be changed by adjusting the distance between the object and the duplicate lens. This can be done manually or with the use of tools such as lenses or mirrors to manipulate the light rays and adjust the focal point.